Monday, October 22, 2007

Wildfires + Wind = BAD

So, it's 5am, and I haven't slept for hours because the wind is howling so loudly outside. My curiosity finally got the better of me, and I had to come online to see how hard it was actually blowing. And guess what?? There have been wind gusts over 60 miles an hour, and constant wind speeds of over 30 miles an hour. No wonder it sounds like our patio awning is going to rip off and go flying through the air (the possibility of which is another thing keeping me awake). There have been points all night long where the candles on the shelf in our bedroom have started rattling.I have seriously never experienced wind like this before!!

I'm also having trouble sleeping because of a wildfire that's burning not too far from where we are... I noticed the smoke yesterday afternoon, but it seemed far off. I didn't *really* take notice until about 4pm, when the sky got all dark, the sunlight turned a dark orange color, and we started smelling smoke/seeing ashes come in through the open windows. Gus ran around the house and closed everything up, which was good, because when I went out to the garage later on to get clothing from the dryer, I couldn't believe how smoky (smelling) it was! Now I'm looking outside, and it *looks* like it's foggy-- but I know it's not, because it's way too hot and there is too much wind. The sun isn't supposed to rise for another hour and a half, but it'll be interesting to see what the world looks like when it does!

Anyway... I'm feeling really paranoid about this whole situation, because it reminds me too much of October, 2003. We had driven up to the Bay Area on the weekend of the 25th (for Alayna's wedding, actually!). When we got back home, I remember telling Gus that it was like driving into Mordor. The fire was everywhere, and the sky was as dark as night. School was canceled for days (just like it is today!), and I pretty much stayed in our apartment as much as possible until the smoke cleared. When I did go outside, the smoke choked me and stung my eyes. People were walking around wearing face masks. Of course, our apartment was fine (though our porch was covered with ash that took months to finally clean completely). But here's what really has me worried... The fires did reach our town that year (coming from the same direction as the current fire, fueled by Santa Ana winds that weren't as strong), and this entire neighborhood had to evacuate. As in, the neighborhood where we now live. About 15 houses were destroyed, though they were mostly in the northern half of the area, and they were mostly located on the outer edges, adjacent to the open space. Still, just the thought of having to evacuate (while 9+ months pregnant, with a cat and a parrot) is horrible. I really, really hope they get this fire under control soon...

P.S. There is some sort of emergency vehicle with flashing lights doing rounds in the neighborhood... I wonder what that's all about??

5:46 AM: Great, the town has declared a local emergency and neighborhoods are being asked to evacuate. Not ours, though-- at least not yet... :( :(

No comments: