Wednesday, October 31, 2007

One Day at a Time

So I am pleased to report that things are getting better! When I wrote the last post, I was definitely at an emotional low point. I don't think I ever realized how truly frustrating breastfeeding could be, but we are slowly making progress. Nikos hasn't had any formula whatsoever in almost 48 hours, and I've been able to feed him enough. It seems like all I ever DO is feed him, which is pretty exhausting, but at least he's getting breastmilk now. I almost started crying yesterday when I saw yellow poop in his diaper. Yeah, it's gross, but I was SO HAPPY! For those of you who don't know, formula = green poop and breastmilk = yellow poop. My baby has yellow poop now!!! Happy dance!!!

We're also getting through the nights much better now. The first night home from the hospital was a nightmare. We were all still figuring things out. Our original plan was to put the kiddo into his crib in the nursery right away, but after realizing just how often we'd be up with him, we knew that wasn't gonna happen (at least, not for a while). So we moved the Pack N Play into our bedroom, and that has been his temporary home. Though now that I think about it, he hasn't slept in it a whole lot. He tends to sleep on Gus' chest. Which worries me a bit, because he can't do that forever! But for now, it's working, and we're getting two- to three-hour chunks of sleep at a time. I'll take it!

The good news is that Nikos seems to be a pretty easy baby to read. He doesn't really start crying unless he's hungry or needs to be changed. So if we check his diaper and it's clean, then I feed him until he dozes off again. We've got it down to a system where Gus is the one in charge of getting out of bed and checking on him, and I'm in charge of all things food-related. We're both getting more sleep AND I'm feeling a lot better (getting in and out of bed is tough after abdominal surgery).

Anyway, I just wanted to report that things are getting better, slowly but surely. Hey, I actually had time to go on the computer and post this-- so that's something! I will try to post again this afternoon, since we have his first doctor's appointment this morning at 11:15. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that he's gained weight!

And, of course, a photo... Don't tell Gus I put this on here, he doesn't like it when I take pictures with him in them. But how could I not??

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

what a precious picture. i'll be sure to spam it to all the people i know. jk! very cute!