Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Spoke Too Soon!

Last night, not too long after I wrote the last post, I took a look out of one of our back windows and had to catch my breath-- not only could I see an orange glow just over the crest of a nearby hill, but I could occasionally see actual flames leaping into the air. I called Gus over, and we watched as the flames grew larger and eventually crossed over to our side of the hill. The hill was still a good distance away-- at the extreme north end of our neighborhood (we live at the south end), but that was enough for me. Despite the fact that we were never given a formal evacuation notice, I knew that there was no way I could possibly sleep in the house that night. So, we evacuated! We packed up the animals (an ordeal in and of itself!), called our friend, and made it to his house without incident. I can't say that we slept very well (we had to keep both animals in the room with us, since they have a dog), but at least we got SOME sleep. I know I wouldn't have gotten any at the house, so it was a good decision.

Anyway... the good news is that the house is still here, intact, and I am currently sitting in it! :) The fire burning on the hill must have either died out or changed direction completely, because there's no sign of it now. It looks like we are pretty much in the clear, so we'll be moving back in later today (the animals are still at Tony's house-- I just drove back here to check on things first). There were a lot more cars driving around in the neighborhood, too, so it looks like other people are coming back. What a scary night, though... That is definitely not an experience I hope to relive anytime soon...

Oh! So we got up at the crack of dawn this morning so that I could be at the hospital by 6:45 for my non-stress test. Nikos passed with flying colors-- his fluid levels are fantastic, and his heart responded exactly the way that they expected it to. Just as I thought, he is a happy little camper in there! They used an ultrasound machine to measure the fluid levels, and I got to sneak a peek of his cute little face-- something I haven't seen in about 5 months!! That was a bonus. Now, I just have to track down my doctor... I was given a hotline to call, since the medical office is still closed (it's in a mandatory evacuation area). I need to tell him about my non-stress test and have him schedule induction. I hope I can find him!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

yay nikos! good job, kiddo.