Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Labor Update

So, I've learned something today. Contractions hurt! And the ones I'm having right now aren't that bad. So this promises to be a very interesting (= painful!) night!

We checked into our room at around noon today, and the induction began at around 1:00. As part of a (horribly painful) internal exam, the nurse inserted a Cytotec tablet to help me dilate and get some stronger contractions started. When she checked me again at 5:00, I had gone from barely 1 centimeter to almost 3, and my contractions were regular and becoming painful. I had been having contractions that I didn't even notice, but now I DEFINITELY notice them! At any rate, she inserted another tablet of Cytotec, and she thinks it will be my last dose. When I'm checked again at 9:00, they will probably start me on Pitocin. I'm nervous about it, but still relieved that the end is finally in sight. I plan on getting an epidural when I am no longer able to manage the pain on my own, so we'll see when that is.

For now, we're just hanging out... Gus has been paying some bills, and we're watching a lot of TV. The baby is still really active, and the nurse keeps having to come in here to adjust the fetal heart monitor that's strapped to my belly, because he keeps moving around! I've been hooked up to an IV ever since we got here, and I have to say that I am not a fan. And the internal exams are the most painful things I have ever experienced in my life (so far)! I'm not allowed to eat any real food, but my nurse got me a tray of acceptable items (broth, jello, tea, etc.). I could totally go for some Taco Bell, but that will have to wait. :P

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

yay! you're going to be holding Nikos very soon!!!!

Anonymous said...

Ehhh!!! BRIAR!!! I just keep checking this all night and all morning long! I hope you're near the end now...

Alayna said...

Wow! Thinking of you guys and hoping Nikos is already here or close to it!!