Sunday, April 1, 2012

34

So, I am another year older today! I'd like to say I have gained some sort of magical wisdom that comes with age but, sadly, I feel just like I did yesteday. In fact, I don't feel much different at ALL from when I was, say, 25. Mentally, at any rate. I have no complaints!

Despite me feeling under the weather, Gus pulled through at the last minute for a birthday win! I was woken up the first time at 6:15, when a cute little boy I know came running into our room. The first thing he did was run over to Gus and whisper (loudly), "Daddy! It's Mommy's birthday today!" And then he ran over to my side of the bed, and was practically hopping up and down while saying, "HAPPY BIRTHDAY, MOMMY!" I thought it was so sweet that he remembered all on his own! Yay!

As cute as that was, though, Gus quickly whisked him and Maya downstairs so I could sleep in. Which I did, until I was woken up to a tray of warm cinnamon rolls and a mimosa, and a chorus of "Happy Birthday" being sung by my three favorite people! Then they left me to eat in peace, so I read my book and took my time. It was fantastic! The kids also got me a card, which Nikos wrote my name, his name, and Maya's name on-- all legibly! I was so proud!

When I finally went downstairs, I practically tripped over this-- my new ride! It wasn't exactly a surprise, since I asked for a bike and had picked it out. Still, it appeared in my dining room! It will be perfect for riding on the Rail Trail this summer, or around the reservoirs. I can't wait!

The rest of the day was very laid back. I enjoyed the emails/texts/Facebook messages/phone calls from friends and family, and spent most of the day in my pajamas. I did take the time to lay the tiles for our pellet stove hearth, which looks fabulous (more on that tomorrow!). But really, we all lounged around the house until it was time to get ready for dinner.

And what a nice dinner it was! We went to what has sort of become a favorite restaurant of ours here in Massachusetts, but this was the first time we'd gone with the kids. And the first time we'd driven there since actually moving here. We were shocked to find that it was only a 20-minute drive! And all on some beautiful backroads. AND, about 15 minutes into the drive, we passed the entrance to the ski resort! We knew it was close, but 15 minutes? We were both so surprised! But there we were! I guess our kids might actually learn how to ski. huh. Weird!!

Anyway, the restaurant was great, as always. It's in an old mill, situated out on a river. You have to cross a bridge to get inside. And the views are great! We were seated right next to the window tonight, looking downstream. We went early enough that it was not crowded at all, and it was just cozy and relaxing. The kids were on their best behavior the whole time, I think because the view was so interesting. Plus, they were very absorbed in their coloring, haha! Here are a few photos of my adorable dining companions (not that Gus wasn't also adorable, but he tends to complain when I post pictures of him. boo!):


If it hadn't been raining, we would have been able to feed the ducks (they will even give you free duck food in the restaurant). But the kids still enjoyed looking at them! I preferred the view from the covered bridge. So pretty!

After that, we came home and I blew out my candles. I made the cake, but Gus decorated it. Can you tell? haha! Still, it was perfect. And delicious. A wonderful ending to a great day!

And tomorrow, our pellet stove is getting installed! I can't WAIT! You have no idea how excited we are!

No comments: