Monday, April 16, 2012

Hot Hot Hot

It was a HOT one today! And I loved every second, haha! I think I appreciate it so much more now than I did before. Cold weather will do that to you!

Anyway, the high today was right around 90 degrees. Throw in a little humidity, and it felt hotter than that. It was so weird to wake up and already have an outdoor temperature in the 70s. It was warmer outside than inside the house at 7am! I promptly threw open the windows to fully enjoy it! And the kids were more than cooperative when it came to getting dressed, because they were eager to get outside and play. It was already around 80 when we went out back at 9am to check on our berry bushes... Nope, no berries yet! But the leaves are starting to fill in, so that's something!

At 10am, we met up with Caryn and her kids at the town park, where we played in the hot sun until we couldn't stand it anymore.

Then we drove across the street to the local diner for some lunch. All four kids were warm and cranky, so it wasn't exactly the best dining experience, but we survived! And luckily, the people working there were super nice about our semi-chaotic collection of children. It could have been worse, I suppose!

The rest of the afternoon, Nikos insisted that I play t-ball with him outside. He is positively obsessed! But it's fun to see him figuring out all the pieces of the puzzle. And he is SO enthusiastic about it! Even though I was sweating like crazy, it was so awesome to see him get so into it. He's gotten really good at hopping right into "ready position," like so:

After practicing batting and running the bases for a bit, Nikos announced that we needed to look for my baseball mitt. So all three of us marched up to the (sweltering!) attic, where I knew it would be. Luckily, I located it pretty quickly. We marched back downstairs, and Nikos and I played catch for I-don't-know-how-long. Eventually, I just couldn't take it anymore! I was hot, and so was Maya. So I sought refuge in the shady upstairs portion of the swingset, which had a nice breeze. Maya came, too, and I tried to take a picture of us both. Yeah. That didn't turn out so well. It makes me laugh, though, haha!

Finally, it was time for REAL t-ball practice. Nikos had a great time, though he wasn't quite himself. He was up a few times last night, so I think he was tired to begin with. And I think he fought off whatever disease was bothering him yesterday. Add in the fact that we were out in the heat a LOT today, and he was sort of spacey. Still, he had fun! And I was actually able to sit and talk with some of the other parents, who were all very friendly. I feel like I keep using that word to describe everyone I meet here! But seriously, everyone in town is so nice! I have felt very welcomed here. And Nikos' coach is hilarious (you probably have to be to coach t-ball, haha!). Here are a few "action shots" of our boy... they did a lot more today! Their first big game is on Saturday, ack!


But the highlight of the day, by FAR, was when Nikos got his uniform! He got the pants and shirt today, and the hat and socks are coming soon. He was so excited! Their shirts are blue, and the coach had them all brainstorm names for their team. Nikos shot his hand into the air and suggested they call themselves "The Blue Team." hehe! I love it! Another little boy suggested "The Red Team," (ha!) and then one blurted out "The Bluebirds!" The coach made an executive decision and announced that they would be The Blue Jays. And our boy is number 6. He was soooooooooo excited to come home and show Daddy his cool baseball uniform!

Anyway... the windows are all still open, and it's so nice to listen to all the frogs chirping outside. I look forward to when the weather is consistently warm like this! As it is, tomorrow should be in the seventies, with things cooling down toward the weekend. I will enjoy this while it lasts!

No comments: