Thursday, April 12, 2012

Open House

I went to Open House tonight at Nikos' preschool! I was worried that I wouldn't be able to make it, since it was an adults-only event and I needed someone to watch the kids (Gus is away on business). But my friend Caryn saved the day! I dropped them off at her house at 5:00, along with a large bottle of wine (hehe!), and headed on my way.

I was so nervous that I would be late, since there was an accident or something and lots of ambulances/fire trucks raced by, holding me up at a traffic light for a pretty long time. And then I was so worried that I wouldn't be able to find a spot, since the lot is so small.

Yeah... I was one of THREE parents that showed up. Three. And there are sixty-something students! It was really bizarre (the teachers even said as much). It wasn't advertised very well, but it WAS in the newsletter that everyone gets. So I don't know what happened. Still, it was an excellent opportunity to chat with all of his teachers, who are all super nice and friendly. I even talked with another mom, who lives practically across the street from us! She was really friendly, too, though her son doesn't go to preschool on the same days as Nikos.

Anyway... I didn't want to turn it into a parent-teacher conference, since I knew that wasn't the point of the night. But they all liked telling me how funny Nikos was, and how enthusiastic and hard-working he was when it came to his work. One of his teachers was surprised that he had another year of preschool (he misses the cutoff of Sept. 1st)-- she said he'd probably do fine going straight to kindergarten. I think he will definitely still benefit from the extra year of preschool, but it felt pretty good to hear it nonetheless. I know my boy is smart, but it's nice to know that I'm not just wearing my Mommy Goggles! Really, though, I just enjoyed talking with all the teachers and getting to know them some more. I am so glad that Nikos ended up there, because I just know in my heart that it's the right place for him. And Maya, too, starting in September!

Meanwhile, back at Caryn's house... Nikos got silly and took a header off of his chair while eating dinner, resulting in a scratch on his cheek and a cut in his gums, right above his two front teeth. It apparently bled a lot, but it looks okay now. We were very careful when brushing tonight, but he will be fine. And if that wasn't enough, Maya didn't want to tell Caryn that she had to go potty... so she pooped her pants. Fortunately, I had left a spare pair of undies, so Caryn was a super awesome friend and got her all squared away. But THEN... when I went to pick them up, they were playing on the swingset in the back yard (it was dusk, but still relatively warm out). I was standing there chatting with Caryn, and Maya decided to pee her pants! ACK!!!!!! I was standing right there!!!! Anyway, Caryn gave me a plastic bag, which I used to cover Maya's carseat, and we drove home and got everyone changed into their jammies. I don't know what that was all about. But I was really glad I had bought Caryn the bottle of wine! I hope she is enjoying it right now, haha!

Anyway... I was very thankful for my friend today, and grateful for the opportunity to get to know Nikos' teachers better and hear about how well he's doing. That's my boy! I am such a lucky mom, to have two amazing kids who make me so proud. I love them so much!!

No comments: