Friday, April 6, 2012

I Want to Ride My Bicycle!

I want to ride my bike... I want to ride my bicycle, I want to ride it where I liiike!

Yeah, so I've had this song stuck in my head for like a week now, haha! First it was because I got a shiny new bike for my birthday. But since then, Nikos has repeatedly told anyone who will listen that he wanted his training wheels off of his bike. He didn't want to be taught how to ride it. Oh no! He was convinced he knew how already. "Just take them off, mom, so I can ride my bike! Come ON!" So funny!

Anyway... I picked up some better knee/elbow pads at the store this morning, and we decided that today was the day! Gus took off the training wheels, and we went out to the driveway. Our driveway is long and relatively flat, so it was the best place to practice. However, being on Main Street meant that we needed to use caution. We didn't want him flying out into the road! It also meant that we surely provided entertainment for people driving by. I know that I was entertained, at least!

We started by having Gus push him, and me "catch" him at the other end. He was sort of losing it, though. He was distracted by all the cars going by, and would forget to pedal or steer. And the second Gus would let go, he would put his feet down so he wouldn't fall. After a little while, he was ready to give up and not try again until he was older. He said he just couldn't do it, and that it was too hard. But we encouraged him to keep trying, which he did for a bit. And then he wanted a break, which was fine. It was supposed to be fun, anyway!

Just before dinner, he got the urge to try again. Gus was busy (more on that in a sec), so I actually practiced with him in our still-furniture-free front room. Inside the house with me, he was remembering to pedal and steer, and I think it brought his confidence back. His biggest issue is remembering to correct his balance, but we talked about it and I think he "gets" it (though he has trouble remembering to apply it, in the moment!). Once Gus was available, we went outside again. This time, I pushed him and Gus caught him. And he did GREAT! He was so much more confident and positive about everything! By the end, he was pedaling for 15 feet or so before veering wildly off to the side and, in his words, "doing cool tricks!" haha! We had to drag him back inside, because he did NOT want to stop! He even tried to get us out there again after dinner, which didn't work because tonight was movie night. Tomorrow, though! We will find somewhere else to practice-- maybe an empty parking lot? He is SO excited! I'm surprised he didn't ask to have the bike in bed with him tonight.

Anyway... I got very few pictures of this whole thing, since I was an active participant and really needed my hands free. This photo was from the earlier session, before he really got into it. But look at my big boy! He is so proud of himself!

On another note... we got a new dishwasher today! That's why Gus was indisposed in the afternoon-- he had to install it. We had always planned to replace all the appliances, but this one came up a little sooner than expected. Because I went to wash dishes yesterday morning, and this is what happened.

That's not supposed to happen, right? We probably could have squeezed a little more life out of this one, but really, it's terrible dishwasher. Old, ugly, and poorly designed. So we ordered a new one, and it was delivered after lunch. Gus got it installed, and it is officially AMAZING! Not only does it clean dishes and look pretty, but it is laid out SO much better than the old one, and it is nearly silent when it runs! I think I am in love! Behold the splendor!

Which reminds me... These cabinets are probably getting painted white this summer, and the ugly laminate countertops will be replaced with some sort of solid surface (granite, etc.). But isn't my dishwasher pretty??

No comments: