Thursday, April 26, 2012

Cleaning

There is nothing like the combined prospects of hosting a birthday party and having houseguests to motivate you to clean, haha! That's what I've been doing pretty much all week. I keep the house reasonably clean on a daily basis, because that's just how I am, but I wanted to do a really DEEP cleaning this time around. Plus, I wanted to do some more "finishing touches" before everyone gets here. The house is far from done, but there were a few things I wanted to do. Like get some pictures up on the dining room wall. This wall is about 20 feet long, and it was just this empty expanse of nothingness! I got these frames (and the vinyl decal) at the dollar store, and ordered prints to fill them. I am pleased with how it all turned out! And this is a composite picture. There's no way I could have gotten them all in one shot like this!
The photos are big, by the way... the three in the middle are 11x14, with all the others being 8x10. I love it!

And then there was the front room. We had the awesome red couch, but nothing else. I finally got this coffee table. And then I found this rug the other day. Both were very affordable, but I just love what this little area is becoming! I still want to get a comfy chair or two for in there, but it's already one of my favorite places in the house. It's so warm and cozy, especially on rainy afternoons (like today)! I just want to sit there and read or have some coffee. The rug still needs to "relax" after being tightly rolled up, and you can ignore the books and folding chairs on the floor, but look! I love the front room!
Most of the day, though, I just cleaned and cleaned and cleaned. I am pleased to report that all my toilets, sinks, and tubs are sparkling clean, as are all the bath linens. I am ready for visitors now!

Meanwhile, the kids played together and colored and just generally got along well. I thank my lucky stars that I have two kids who get along so well with each other 99% of the time. It definitely makes my life easier! At one point, Maya showed me this jellyfish that she drew. Oh, and another time, she drew the letter H (and told me that was what it was)! She is growing by leaps and bounds every day. I think it's time to start working on letters... I predict she will be able to write her name in a few months. My smart girl!


P.S. I spotted a few Eastern Bluebirds in our front yard this afternoon! I'd never seen a bluebird before! And they are, in fact, quite blue. So cool!!

No comments: