Monday, April 2, 2012

Ode to a Pellet Stove

Oh pellet stove, how do I love thee? Let me count the ways, haha!

So, we got our pellet stove installed today. That thing is awesome! It puts out so much heat, and has a powerful-but-quiet fan to blow it throughout the house. I think we need to get a doorway fan or two to maximize the effect, but it really did make the whole house significantly warmer today. Plus, the pellets are much cheaper than burning oil, and they burn very efficiently. And it adds ambience to the house. Really, it's just awesome! I love this thing!

The installers got here at about 9am, and were done by lunchtime. Before they arrived, Gus and I had to build a hearth for this thing to rest on. So we did that this past weekend, using plywood, cement board, and black granite tiles. We still need to put the white wood molding around the whole thing, but we will wait until after the building inspector comes out to sign off on it, just in case anything needs to be changed or moved.

Anyway, this was an "in progress" shot...

And here is the finished, functional stove! LOVE!

And as if we didn't already have enough excitement today, I was thrilled to discover a bird eating at my new birdfeeder! After much research and deliberation, I decided to buy a highly-rated one that mounts to the window. And I stuck it outside our bedroom window, up high on the second floor, so that no squirrels could get to it. It's taken a few days, but I am hopeful that the word will spread among the birds. This little nuthatch seemed to like it, at least. I really hope he invites his cardinal buddies along with him next time!

No comments: