Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Sweet Green Grass

I was trying to think of a title for this post, and "sweet green grass" kept popping into my head. Nikos says this all the time when we're outside, referring to the story of the Three Billy Goats Gruff, of which he is a big fan lately. But it seems fitting for today's post, so there you go!

Today was another beautiful day. Perhaps even more beautiful because it was a little cooler (high seventies) and there was a nice breeze. The kids even let me sleep in until seven o'clock, which was sort of a miracle! We had a lovely lazy morning in our pajamas, since we didn't have any urgent plans or anything. It was a nice change of pace from our usual Tuesday schedule. I love Spring Break!

Eventually, we got dressed and blew bubbles outside. Then we had a picnic. I took a few pictures, but mostly just enjoyed basking in the sun. It was far too cozy!


After lunch, I finally got my act together and we went to the market. And the dollar store, which is right next door to the market. And then the farm, because Nikos insisted that we get FARM milk, and I don't blame him (it really does taste better!). We had a lovely visit with the chickens, goats, and the lone llama, and Nikos was very excited to see a tractor drive by (and the guy waved at him, making it that much more cool!).

Once we got home, I got the kids busy playing with water blasters so that I could spread chemicals on our lawn. Weed and Feed, to be precise. We have a MAJOR dandelion situation, and I was told by the lady at the hardware store this was our best bet. And you know what? Three-quarters of an acre doesn't seem THAT big until you have to walk back and forth and back and forth and back and forth... you get the idea. It was brutal! I was sweating like a pig! I think I walked a few miles, just spreading this stuff! But it's done now. So we shall see if it helps.

Later in the evening, while Gus was getting the kids ready for bed, I was looking out our bedroom window and noticing how things had changed over the past few days. The dusky light really made all the greens pop out at me... and it was amazing to see just how much more green there was! The slightest hint of warm weather, and everything here goes bananas (including the bugs, but that's another post for another time). Just a few weeks ago, all the trees in the low area behind the swing set were barren. Now, that whole area has a greenish tinge to it. It amazes me! And I know it will only get better, since this yard was surrounded by a wall of lush greenery when we first saw it last summer. I can't wait!

No comments: