Saturday, April 14, 2012

Take a Hike!

Today was an absolutely gorgeous spring day! I knew it was going to be nice when I came downstairs at 7am and the temperature was already hovering around sixty degrees. And I'd been wanting to explore some of the parks and trails nearby, so I quickly got my chores done so we could get out and have an adventure!

We decided to check out a segment of the Massachusetts Central Rail Trail. And I am so glad we did, because I felt like I discovered something really cool! The rail trail is basically what it sounds like... An old, damaged rail line was removed to make a walking/biking trail for the public. The line is over seventy miles long, and various towns and organizations have been working for years on cleaning up their portions (our town has two chunks that just don't connect, but are otherwise completely done). Ultimately, the goal is to connect them all together. But for now, we just picked the longer chunk to explore.

It was so fun! The trail is wide and flat, and runs along all sorts of lakes, ponds, streams, and swampy areas. There were other people out there enjoying the trail as well, but it still felt very private and secluded. I actually had a little moment when we went off the trail for a minute to peek at this stream. I heard a noise right by us, and my first instinct was that it was a moose, and that we needed to RUN back to the trail! haha! I now think it was a bird (oops!). But I wouldn't have been too surprised to find moose or beavers along the trail.

The only thing that would have made the hike better would have been if Maya had wanted to actually walk. I carried her 90% of the time, which means I got an excellent workout, ha! I think I will bring the wagon or even a little stroller next time. Nikos had a blast running all over the place, but Maya insisted that she was too tired to walk. sigh! I was the tired one, after carrying her for a mile or two! We finally stopped to take a little snack break on a bench by the lake. They were not exactly cooperative when I said I wanted to take a picture of the three of us, but oh well!

After we made it back to our car, we ran to the store for a few things, then came home for lunch. The kids wolfed down their food, because they were so eager to go back outside and enjoy the sunny, seventy-degree day. Nikos and I dragged all his t-ball stuff outside so he could practice, and practice we did! I had bought a set of bases at the store when we were out, so I set them up and we worked on hitting the ball and then running in the right direction. We took turns hitting and fielding, and I really think he learned a lot! He still throws his glove off the moment I hit the ball ("because it gets in the way!"), and we had a few moments where he didn't exactly run to the right base, but it was starting to click. He is still SO excited about his next practice. And I am excited for his first game, a week from today! I bought us some decent folding chairs for the sidelines, since there are no bleachers at the t-ball field. We are all set!

And that was pretty much our day! We stayed outside for as long as we could handle, but then we were sweaty and tired. We came inside to rest for a bit, and the sky almost instantly clouded over and the wind picked up. It's supposed to rain tonight, but then get progressively warmer (to almost ninety degrees!) over the next few days. Still, I am glad we made the most of the best part of the day! And YAY for discovering the Rail Trail! I can't wait to explore it some more!

No comments: