Monday, April 9, 2012

An awesome, awesome day!

First, I spotted this colorful guy in my bird feeder. An Eastern Goldfinch! I love him!! The birds here are seriously so much more colorful than the ones I am used to. I am becoming sort of obsessed with my bird feeder, haha!

Then, our new couch arrived for the front room. I wrestled the box inside and assembled it, and I LOVE it! I sat there for like 20 minutes after the kids went to bed, just relaxing and watching the pellet stove. We still plan to buy more furniture for this room (maybe a comfy chair or two and a coffee table. Oh, and a rug!), but the couch is an excellent start. I am so pleased!

Shortly after the couch arrived, so did my uncle and cousin! They are here in Massachusetts on sort of a whirlwind trip. My cousin is touring and interviewing at a number of colleges, and my uncle is speaking at some sort of convention. They (along with my aunt and other cousin) have actually been living in England since last summer, so I can call them international visitors! That sounds so much more glamorous! :) At any rate, they stopped over for about an hour on their way from Wellesley to Mt. Holyoke, and it was very, very nice to see them again after such a long time. We gave them a tour of the house, and Nikos decided that Rob was his new best friend, haha! They even came with us to see the first part of Nikos' t-ball practice, before they had to hit the road. Before we left the house, though, I made sure to take a few photos for posterity (and blogging purposes!). Please note that I had not finished assembling the couch, haha!


And then there was t-ball practice. I don't even know how to describe it, except that it made my heart burst from happiness and pride. Nikos was not the best player, nor the worst. But I honestly don't care about that. He was the most AWESOME, though! He went right up to his coach and introduced himself, which is absolutely HUGE for our "shy" child. And then he was so, so enthusiastic about everything! He was the one who cheered whenever a kid had a good hit, or said "Good try! You can do it!" when a kid missed. When the kid next to him fielded a ball, Nikos said, "Awesome! High five!!" Sadly, the kid left him hanging, but it didn't dampen his spirits at all. He even cheered for the coach when he (the coach) caught the ball. I am pretty sure the coach loves him, haha! He was practically bouncing the entire time. He was just a *little* excited, in case you couldn't tell! :)



Still, the whole experience was a million miles away from our soccer classes a few years ago. He was so, so happy, and thrilled to run off and listen to his coach's every word. He followed all the directions, though he occasionally got distracted. I was so, SO proud of him! Bonus: his friend from preschool ended up on the same team, so he already knew someone. Really, it was a fantastic first experience, if you don't consider the fact that it was freezing cold! Maya and I were huddled under a blanket. But Nikos didn't even seem to notice. Love that kid! And I can't wait for Gus to see it in person, too!

All in all, a fantastic day. And now I am tired, ha!
------

I nearly forgot about this picture Nikos drew. I loved it, because it was so well-thought-out! It's a picture of the Three Billy Goats Gruff. Under the bridge, you can see the troll ("with the big ugly head!") and his "pet frog." On the upper left, you can see the hill with the "sweet green grass" that the goats wanted to get to. And on the right, there's the biggest, smallest, and middle-sized goat if you go from top to bottom. I LOVE it!

No comments: