Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Trouble in the Tundra

That sounds like the title of a mystery novel or something, haha! But seriously, yesterday kind of stunk. We woke up with great plans of how we were going to spend our day: Gus would fininish plumbing the sink in the laundry room, I'd touch up the living room paint, and we'd go play out in the snow. Except... I went to get Maya from her room, and it was FREEZING! The back of the house had been comfortably warm, but not her room... The thermostat was set to 65, but it was in the mid-fifties. Brr! Then, it was the same story downstairs. The front of the house was freezing, and the back was warm. Not good.

After scouring the internet and trying everything we could think of, we finally gave in and called an HVAC guy. He was going to come around 4:30, which meant we still had time to work on our projects. Except... he managed to come just after 1:00. And, shortly after he arrived, so did all the new mattresses we bought. Chaos!

So... A few hours and $160 later, we had functioning heat again. It turns out that the hot water lines had frozen! You read that right. Our house is heated by a hot water baseboard system. Basically, the boiler gets messages from the different thermostats, heats up water, and sends it to that zone... As it passes through the baseboard, the heat rises and warms the room. I had NO IDEA that they could freeze. And normally, they wouldn't-- the hot water takes care of that. And our basement is pretty warm, thanks to the boiler that dominates the room. But our heat was set low enough overnight, and it was an especially cold one at that (below zero). There are a few spots where there are vents/openings in the basement wall, and the icy air was hitting the two pipes that bring heat to the front of the house. So the guy ended up using a heat gun and slowly warming the pipes until the ice broke up. Crazy! And after that, Gus went to the hardware store to get pipe insulation. So we should be good to go now. We're just lucky the pipes didn't break!

Anyway, that ended up consuming our entire day. We didn't play outside or complete our projects. Boo!

We did, however, get a guest bed out of it. The room isn't done yet (I need to paint, get accent furniture, etc.). But there is a bed! We just need some guests! :)

We also had some more snow last night. It wasn't much, but it was enough for Gus to need to clear the driveway for me, since I don't have four wheel drive or snow tires. It was fine by the time I had to take Nikos to preschool. And what was left on our driveway had melted by the time we had to go pick him up.

Funny story... I walked in to get him. Usually, his class is sitting there, reading a story. But today it was just Nikos, doing a puzzle with one of his teachers. I thought maybe this was one of the assessments they're doing this week, but nope! I also thought I might be late or something, though I had no idea how. Nope! He was the only morning program kiddo who showed up today! Crazy! I guess the schools were delayed for two hours because of the snow, and most of his classmates have older siblings in school... so their parents just decided to keep them home. There were still other kids there from the full-day program, so he wasn't alone or anything, but he was the only one who went home at 11:30. It was so weird!!

Anyway... We came home, ate lunch, and then our new desk arrived. In about five billion pieces, requiring assembly (obviously). I was tempted to start working on it, but the kids were really getting stir crazy from being inside... so we got our gear and played in the new snow! It was so nice and powdery and perfect for snowball fights and snowman-building. So, that's what we did!

Then I came back in and built the desk. It literally took me four hours. It looks good, but my knuckles are all scraped and raw and my muscles ache. Insanity! And it's not like this is my first time assembling furniture, either. It just had SO many pieces! Ugh!

Anyhow, it's bedtime now. I am wiped! Tomorrow I get to assemble the lateral file cabinet. Here's hoping it's not quite as bad as the L-shaped desk!

No comments: