Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Busy Busy Busy

Today was a preschool day for Nikos, and it was another great day! The more I talk to the different teachers at his school, the more I know it's the right place for him. And listening to him go on and on about his day as we drive home is my favorite part of the day. Today, they made letter W's using "the things you put in your ears" (q-tips). They learned about penguins! They played with SAFARI ANIMALS! And, like the other two days, it was the BEST DAY EVER! haha!

Anyway, Maya and I were busy while he was gone, whipping up a batch of banana bread (with bananas expertly smooshed by my favorite girl) and folding four loads of laundry. I also cleaned up our laundry room, which is still a "work-in-progress," took measurements, and drew up some plans for the storage that I need Gus to build. I also removed the painter's tape that had been up for over a month. I knew it would be tough to get down, so I brought an Xacto knife. I don't even know why it was still up, since we usually remove the tape as soon as we're done painting. But Gus did it just before the kids and I arrived, and I think it just sort of got forgotten in all the shuffle. Still, it's down now! And my dream laundry room will be a reality sometime in the not-too-distant future!

We took a break to get our boy and eat some lunch, but then I got back to work... I put the living room back together, after painting it yesterday. I finally put some things on the walls! It's starting to look like we actually live here!

Then we played outside for a bit, until Maya got too cold. But I took this picture for my grandma (Hi, Grandma!). She had this wooden bear forever, and now it's moved across the country to live with us in the forest, hehe! Both kids think it's an Event to go onto the deck and see it. Nikos is a little scared of it, but Maya actually got down on her knees and was patting it on the head. Once she confirmed that it was not real and didn't talk, of course!

After that, it was back to home improvement. I worked on getting the blinds up in the guest bedroom. I bought all the blinds for the bedrooms and bathrooms a month ago, but hadn't put them up in this room yet. Why? Because I hate doing it! It's miserable, trying to screw brackets into woodwork above my head. I can't tell you how many times I jabbed myself with the screwdriver (regular AND electric). And working with your arms up like that HURTS! At any rate, I am embarrassed to say this, but I finally figured it out. Drill the holes first using a drill bit slightly smaller than the screws. Yes, I am a genius. I got all four blinds up in less than half an hour, compared to the hours I spent in the other rooms. I felt really, really dumb!

But, speaking of the guest room... We will actually be set up for guests soon! I ordered this queen-sized bed a few days ago, along with a mattress and some bedding (please note that this is the catalog photo... our room will be better!). I am so excited! Who wants to come visit first?

Anyway, it was a busy day! I'm tired! Tomorrow, we have a playdate in the morning, but then I'll probably try to sneak in some more home improvement/decorating. It's a never-ending process!

No comments: