Tuesday, January 3, 2012

First Day of School!

Well... it was a huge success!! Our day started off on the early side, with Nikos climbing into bed and then chattering on and on about different preschool-related things. What if he didn't know the words to the songs they sang? What if he didn't want to eat the snack? How would the other kids know his name? etc. It might have been annoying if it wasn't so sweet. He was SO excited! He was even excited to let me take his picture on our front porch, wearing his warm jacket and backpack. I wish he'd taken his hood off, but the fact that he posed willingly was a miracle-- so I didn't push it!

I hadn't planned on sending him in his big jacket, but this morning ended up being one of the colder ones we've had. By the time we left at 8:45, it had warmed up to a toasty 20 degrees. With icy wind. So the big coat became a necessity, though they ended up not playing outside today, anyway (too cold).

The drop-off went really smoothly. We walked in, Nikos found the little card with his name on it, and put it in the rainbow bucket. The director walked us over and showed us where Nikos' hook was in the coat room, and that's where he left his backpack and outerwear. And then he gave me a hug and a kiss, and we left! Piece of cake!

Maya, however, was a MESS. Let me just take a little detour here to talk about Maya. She LOVES her big brother, and she is always making sure that he is being taken care of. If she comes and asks me for a snack, she inevitably gets one for him, too. If she gets her milk from the fridge, she brings him his. Last night, when Gus and I had to cut Nikos' fingernails and he was crying because he hates it? She was climbing on me, crying, attempting to rescue her brother. She is just always looking out for him. And when we left him at preschool this morning, she fell apart. I think she thought we just ditched him or something, because she kept saying, "We can't go without Niko! Mommy, go back right now! We need to get my brother!" all while the tears were streaming down her cheeks. She cried for a good 15 minutes! I took this picture as she was finally pulling herself together in the supermarket parking lot, but you can still see how sad she was. And then she was fine the rest of the morning, but she LIT UP when I told her it was time to get her brother. The whole way there, she was talking about how she was going to give him hugs. And how he was very brave for going to preschool. Seriously? She is just about the best little sister ever. Nikos has no idea how lucky he is!

Anyway, we popped in to get him, and he was just full of smiles. He LOVED it! They sang songs he knew! They knew his name! He even talked to some of the other kids, and they played with cool toys! He didn't really like the snack, but that was okay. The list goes on and on, but the end result was that he is very excited to go back on Thursday. And I am thrilled that he had a great first day!

On a side note... I got there a little faster than planned when it was time to pick him up, so Maya and I drove around for a bit. I snapped this photo just to show you what all the roads look like around here. Seriously, they all pretty much look like this. I think it's so pretty, even at this time of year when there are no leaves. Just imagine what it looks like in the spring/summer! Or the fall! I am constantly amazed by just how beautiful this place is!

No comments: