Monday, January 9, 2012

Potty Training: Days 3 and 4

Ok, so technically, the method I use is called 3-Day Potty Training, but I forgot to post last night and we didn't go anywhere today... so four days it is!

I just have to make one observation about potty training. It is SO hard to see the light at the end of the tunnel on the first day. I remember that with both kids. I thought I'd be spending weeks or months cleaning up accidents all the time. And I wanted to just forget the whole thing and go back to using nice, convenient diapers. However, now that I have potty trained two kids, I can say that I'm glad I stuck with the three-day plan. Hallelujah! I survived!

As for Maya, she is AWESOME! She had two back-to-back pee accidents yesterday morning, but then that was it. She was dry all day, and made lots of successful visits to the potty. And most of the time, she used the real toilet (not the little plastic potty).

Today, though, we were technically "done" with the three-day training. Which meant that I didn't need to stay glued to her side all day, like I did the previous three days. I had to trust her to tell me when she needed to go, and it was SO hard! I don't LIKE cleaning up messes! So I chose to distract myself by painting the living room. Most of the time, Maya was upstairs in the playroom-- not exactly by my side! But she DID it! She'd call to me, and we'd make it to the potty with time to spare! She had one "oops" where we almost made it in time (but not quite). And that was early in the day. After that, it was smooth sailing. She'd announce she had to go, we'd run through the house to the nearest bathroom (with her giggling the whole time), and the rest is history. GO MAYA!!

Tomorrow will be our first "road test," since we have to take Nikos to and from preschool. It's only a 5-minute drive, but I am still worried that she might have an accident. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that she stays dry the whole time!

And although the big focus lately has been potty-training, we HAVE done other things. Like painting the living room, yay! I can't wait to see it in the morning light. And we played outside quite a bit, in short spurts since it was pretty cold. Both kids love collecting pine cones from the forest behind us and stacking them in a pile (a "nest," according to Nikos). Actually, it was funny. Nikos was very concerned last night that a moose would come and ruin the nest. I told him that moose were shy animals, and besides, I would protect it. That seemed to appease him. Still, he ran shrieking across the yard when he spotted his "nest" this afternoon, ha! Silly! And yes, there are moose here, but I have yet to see one!

OH! But then he announced he was a Power Ranger, and the pine cones were bad guys. So he took a stick and knocked them all down. And Maya cried. So much for worrying about the moose, sheesh!

Anyhow, here are a few pics from our outside time yesterday and today. This yard will be so awesome, once we get a swingset for the kids. Just having all this open space is amazing! And can you believe that we still have semi-green grass? In Massachusetts, in JANUARY? Not that I'm complaining or anything, but it's so weird!


And, for fun, here's a pic of the back of the house, from the far end of the grassy area. We eventually plan to put in a patio/deck around the back door. And the porch off to the right needs new screens, but will be a lovely place to sit on spring and summer afternoons. And if we ever get any real snow, we are going to have the most awesome yard for sledding, ever! And please note the little white potty next to the door, haha!

Ok, one more, I swear! I debated whether or not to share this, since Gus is difficult when it comes to posting pictures of him. Still... too bad! I LOOOOOOVE this picture of him and our baby girl. I only wish I had taken it with my "good" camera. Love!!

No comments: