Thursday, January 12, 2012

REAL Snow

So... Gus has been gone this week on business, and I've kept a very careful eye on the weather forecast. And it was very unexciting, which was fantastic! No snow in the forecast. And then, yesterday morning, it changed, saying we could expect from two to four inches overnight. Not too bad. And by the time I went to bed, they had downgraded the storm, saying we'd get maybe half and inch and there would be "no significant snow accumulations." Perfect!

So... Imagine my surprise when I woke up to this:

I took a video, too. This was actually after the storm started to ease up. It was what they call a "wintry mix." Sounds lovely. Except it's snow mixed with rain and, sometimes, ice. It was wet and heavy and coming down non-stop.

Oh, and did I mention that today was a preschool day? It was. I took one look at our driveway and panicked. I have never shoveled snow before. And our driveway is LONG. And we have a snowblower, but I was majorly stressed and couldn't figure it out. So... I called Gus, at 4:45 his time, in tears because I didn't know what to do. He walked me through how to use the snowblower. The rest is history! I cleared the driveway just fine. It was definitely a learning experience, though. I am sure I provided good entertainment for the people driving by as I got blasted in the face a few times. But it was kind of fun, once I got the hang of it. I was completely drenched and covered with snow by the time I was done, but I wasn't at all cold. My new snow boots (Christmas gift from Gus' parents) were awesome! Success!

Once the driveway was cleared, I had to load the kiddos up and take Nikos to preschool. It was a scary drive. The traction control light kept flickering on and off, letting me know that it was slippery out there. I don't think anyone was going over 15mph. Luckily, the preschool is really close, and it was still a quick drive. Once I got there, there were no parent cars in the parking lot-- I was worried that school was canceled (even though it didn't say so online). Nope! The teachers were all there, and most of his classmates ended up arriving at some point. We must've just been the first ones... probably since we live so close, ha!

Anyway... I had to clear the driveway again before picking him up, because it had already filled in again. I am pleased to report that I was much more efficient the second time, and didn't get as much snow blasted in my face. Maya found the whole process very entertaining, as she watched me from the living room window. The drive to get him was also a lot better, as the actual storm had died down and the roads had been plowed numerous times. Much, much better.

Once we were all home for the day, I was able to relax. More so once the storm stopped. That was when it was time to actually ENJOY the snow. And enjoy it we did! We got all bundled up in our snow gear and spent an hour and a half out back, doing every snow-type thing we could think of. They made snow angels. We sledded down the hill (fun!!), we threw snowballs, we ran around, and... (drumroll please!) we made a snowman! The kids' very first one, ever. They named him Ned, after the snowman in the book Snow, which we've been reading at night. And both kids have said, repeatedly, that he was the best part of the day. They love Ned! Can't you tell?


Ned also happens to be the first snowman I have made as an adult. I am kind of proud, haha!

Anyway, I am bone tired, and am hoping everyone sleeps well tonight. And I'm grateful that we don't have to leave the house tomorrow, if we don't want to. If my muscles aren't totally sore, we might attempt to build a snow fort. And I might bake some bread. Stay tuned!

No comments: