Friday, January 6, 2012

Potty Training: Day 1

I know I said I was going to paint the living room today, but I totally forgot that I was planning to potty train Maya this weekend. It's amazing how many times I have forgotten, actually. Perhaps because I was trying to block it out? At any rate, it was time. She's the right age, she shows lots of interest and, well, we have to do it eventually. So today was the day. The day I've been dreading, after our failed attempt back whenever-it-was (April?). sigh.

Anyway, the morning was full of, well, messes. Lots of pee. It's kind of funny, actually. The 3-Day Potty Training booklet recommends keeping kids in just their undies (no pants) for easy access and clean-up. That wasn't really an option for us, since it's cold here and Maya gets cold more easily than her brother. So she wore leggings, which were just as easy to get on and off. Bonus: the leggings kept most of her pee accidents from ever actually reaching the floor or furniture. That was a lovely surprise, haha!

But the morning was a nightmare. She'd tell me she had to go after she'd already gone. No good. She was visibly upset every time she had an accident, which was an improvement over our last potty training attempt, and I KNEW it was only the first day, but I couldn't help wanting to throw in the towel.

Fortunately, though, I kept on going! After lunch, she had two more accidents and SIX successful potty visits!!! I was SO proud of my little girl! The day isn't even over yet, but I am optimistic that this attempt will be "the one." I can see everything starting to click in her head. Amazing!

I won't lie, though-- I am exhausted! I have been glued to her side all day long. I need a nap!

No comments: