Saturday, January 21, 2012

Ice Ice Baby

So, it snowed today. I should probably stop reporting this, since it looks like winter has finally arrived and, well, the snow is here to stay. But it snowed nearly all day, and it was such pretty snow! Light and swirly, but constant. I could almost hear the sleigh bells outside! It was nice to watch, even if we didn't get out to play in it today. It never even got warmer than 20 degrees out there, and the kids would have turned into popsicles!

Anyway... we have a few spots on our roof where a previous owner installed warmers, to prevent ice from building up and causing damage. These need to be turned on during any significant snowfall, so I went down to the basement and flipped them on this morning. No big deal. But what I didn't realize at first is that the parts of the roof with the warmers get awesome icicles! The snow melts off, and freezes again before it hits the ground. These were on our side porch this afternoon. They had kind of a gnarly shape, and I thought they were so cool! I was not dressed to be outside in sub-freezing temperatures, so I only took a few photos, but I can't wait to grab my macro filters and try some more.


And one more photo, just for kicks. Gus gets bonus points for going grocery shopping today. He didn't even clear the driveway, he just drove through it! There's no way my car would have made it. This was him, clearing his car off before he left (he's actually hidden by the car, but he's there!). He was so focused that he forgot the shopping list. Doh!

Oh, and we also put up our new dining room chandelier today. Let there be light! We also removed the old, strangely-placed light that we repeatedly bonked our heads on. The wires aren't completely covered yet, so stay tuned for a photo of the fininshed product! But it is SO much nicer eating in our lovely, bright dining room now!

No comments: