Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Yummmm...

After this past weekend's success with blueberry-picking, and Nikos' continual requests to go back to the berry farm, I thought we'd stay local and pick some strawberries this morning! As soon as everyone was dressed and fed, we headed up to the strawberry fields in Carlsbad. Having never been there before, I wasn't sure if I'd be able to put Maya in the stroller... so this required some planning, since it was just me with the two kids! And it was a good thing I thought about it, because there was NO WAY a stroller could fit in there. Not to mention the mud factor. So Miss Maya rode in style, strapped to my back in the Ergo carrier. She hadn't been in it since she was a newborn, but it went well! I think this will be a good backup plan for us until she is a full-time walker (which won't be too much longer). And then Grant and Melissa can have the Ergo for their baby boy, yippee!!

Anyhow, I even managed to take pictures of our berry-picking, which is slightly miraculous. I had one child strapped to my back, I had the bucket in one hand, my (giant) camera around my neck, and then I was using my other hand to actually pick berries and help Nikos out. All things considered, I think the pictures turned out pretty well! And we had fun, too! Especially Nikos, who probably ate his weight in strawberries... Good thing they don't use any pesticides!





Then, once we got home, we took a bunch of the strawberries and made some delicious strawberry sorbet. I don't think I have used the ice cream maker even one time since Nikos was born... But now that I remember how good this stuff tastes, I think I need to use it more often!


And, the smile of approval. After announcing that it was cold, he said it was "deeewicious!!" :)

1 comment:

Alayna said...

Those look so delicious. And, I'm impressed at your multitasking! I took our kids strawberry picking this morning, too, and our place had little wagons that you could roll the kids around in. It's been so cold and rainy up here that there weren't many berries and the ones that were there were muddy.... so I think you guys had a better experience than we did. I can't wait to make some sorbet when the sun comes out!