Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Art in the Afternoon

Subtitled: Ideas I stole from Barney

Yes, my child watches the hideous purple dinosaur. And yes, Barney has that magical pull on his little mind that is pretty unfathomable to me. But I have realized lately that Barney gives me some pretty good ideas!

For example, Nikos watched an episode called "The World of Color" the other day. It got him so jazzed up about art, so I knew we needed to plan some of that for this week. This kid already likes drawing, etc., but I thought it would be cool for him to mix colors on paper plates (just like they did on Barney) and then paint with a brush for the first time. And it went really well! He was so interested in mixing the colors and seeing what he got-- I think he actually learned something, so hooray for that! And he was so careful with his paintbrush. Such a far cry from the boy who was once covered from head to toe while finger painting! Anyhow, here are a few pics of my little Picasso, along with his finished piece. I really like how the colors mixed together, actually!



And not wanting to leave Maya out, I set her up in her high chair with finger paints and a blank sheet of paper. After trying to eat the paint several times (thank goodness it's non-toxic!), she pretty much decided that it wasn't her thing. Maybe another time...

No comments: