Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Adventures in Haircutting

Well... Nikos got his hair cut today. I can't say it was a pleasant experience, but we lived to tell the tale, so I guess that's something! ha! Seriously, though, that boy is SO strong-willed. And when talking to the hairdresser about it, she said that it's a control issue for a lot of kids. It made so much sense. Nikos thrives on being in control of the situation, and things fall apart when he feels like he's not in control. Which, of course, includes being forced to sit in a chair and have a stranger hack his hair off. Go figure!

We actually went to a new place today, since the old salon went out of business. The old place was kid-friendly, but NOTHING like the new one! Holy cow, this place was great! Nikos was instantly sucked into the large play area loaded with toys, including a large playhouse and a play castle with a slide! Then, when it was time to get his trim, the very sweet Miss Lisa walked him over to pick out a movie to watch at her station (he picked "Cars," of course!). All was going well until she asked him to sit in the seat. I think that was when he put it all together and realized where he actually was! He started saying, "I don't WANNA sit there! I wanna GET DOWN NOW!" He got louder and more forceful (and more wiggly-- I was holding him there) and then Lisa suggested that maybe we should go in the quiet room. hahaha! They basically have a room where they take the screamers, so they can yell to their hearts' content without bothering other customers. I appreciated it, since it also meant that I didn't have to make apologetic looks at anyone. It was a good arrangement for everyone!

Well, except for Nikos, who still didn't want his hair cut. He sat in my lap, neither one of us wearing a drape (it would have made things impossible), and I did my best to hold him still while he howled and writhed and fought with all his might to escape. And Lisa, bless her heart, was so calm and collected and got in there at every possible opportunity and cut his hair! She clearly has experience with this! But it was like wrestling a crocodile. Seriously. And in the end, Nikos and I were both covered with sweat AND his hair, which made for an incredibly itchy trip home. And the cut isn't perfect (we need to clean up the back a little), but it's truly miraculous when you think about how it was achieved. So I got Lisa's card, and will definitely be going back!

A few funny things happened while we were there, though. Aside from the screaming and wrestling, which actually were a little comical. I'll admit, I laughed. Because you have never seen anyone resist a haircut the way this kid does! But I digress... One funny thing was Maya. Yes, she was there, too-- it was just me with both kids. And she sat in her stroller and GIGGLED while all this drama was going down. She seemed to realize that her brother was overreacting, too, which was so funny to watch. She may not talk a whole lot, but I really feel like Maya has an innate knowledge about human behavior and social skills. I love watching her reactions!

The second thing was when we left. Or rather, when I had to drag him out of the salon because he didn't want to leave! That's right. The kid who fought every second of his haircut didn't want to go home. He wanted to go back and play with the toys. And then he wanted to bring them home with him. I ended up having to carry him out of the place kicking and screaming. It was truly an awesome experience, haha!

Anyhow... Some pictures! Here's a "before" shot, for comparison. This is from this past weekend:

And today. It's sticking up a little bit in the back because they didn't wash it before they cut it (can you even imagine attempting that? because I can't!). It looked better post-bath.

And one more, because I think it's funny. In order to get the picture above, Nikos insisted that I take a picture of his cars. He likes to put them into rows and say that they are parking. I love that kid, even if he can be a booger at hair salons!

No comments: