Sunday, June 13, 2010

Blueberries!

We went blueberry picking today!!!!

I know this is going to sound weird, but I have never been a big blueberry fan. At least, I never liked eating them by themselves. The frozen ones were gross, and the fresh ones from the supermarket just didn't have much flavor. I really wasn't impressed.

Until last weekend, that is! I posted about wine tasting with some of my mommy friends. As we were waiting for one of the girls to arrive, our hostess put out a bowl of these huge, juicy-looking blueberries. They were so appealing that I thought I might try one. And OH MY GOSH-- they were fantastic! Sweet and juicy and, well, everything I had always thought that a blueberry must be (but had never found to be the case). As I guzzled them down, she told me that she had gotten them at a local U-pick blueberry farm. What?? A blueberry farm? I knew that there were strawberry farms in the area, but this was news to me. And so it was decided that I NEEDED to go blueberry picking, and I NEEDED to bring the kids (who both love blueberries in ANY form).

Anyway, it was only about a 20 minute drive from my parents' house, and it was AWESOME! The blueberries were abundant, huge, juicy, and sweet. I think my parents are hooked now, too, and might be making a return trip on their own before the place closes down for the summer. Oh, and they sell fresh blueberry pies every Friday-- BONUS! Nikos was practically dancing down the rows of bushes, eating as many blueberries as he could fit into his mouth. He would even run back to the stroller to make sure that Maya had blueberries, too. They were in blueberry heaven! We only picked about 2 pints' worth, but that was still quite a bit. They are FANTASTIC. And as someone who didn't really like blueberries until recently, that's saying something! :) Here are some pics of our blueberry-picking adventure!







No comments: