Monday, July 2, 2007

We Have a Color!

Joy of joys, we have a paint color! Who would've thought this would end up becoming a week-long ordeal?? After numerous trips to the local Sherwin-Williams store and several failed attempts, I have finally found the shade I have been looking for. And what is it called, you ask? Nothin'! I am calling it "Briar's Special Blue," but I ended up having them do custom color-matching for me. In retrospect, I should have just done this in the first place and saved some of the hassle, but that's okay. It's funny, though, when you walk into the paint store and the guy behind the counter asks, "How did Cosmos work out?" or "Did you like Danube??" hahaha! It's always the same guy in there, and he's got to be around my age. Anyway... Today, I brought the crib bumper in with me so he could try to match it using his photospectrometer or whatever (I think that's what he said it was). It didn't really work-- I guess the machine was looking right THROUGH the fabric, and it kept coming out too light. So he messed with the mixture for a good 20 minutes, trying to get it just right. While it was mixing one of the times, he went in the back and then brought out a deck of the old paint chips from about 10 years ago (before the company did a complete color overhaul, I guess). We looked through it, and- lo and behold!- found a near-perfect match in a color called "Holland Tile" (makes sense, since it looks like all the Blue Delft stuff my mom has). Since he was already mixing a sample, he used some of the specs from "Holland Tile" as a guideline, and was able to come up with the *perfect* shade of blue! It's not quite the same as Holland Tile, but it is just right! I was so happy! All I have to do is bring back the sample with me when I'm ready to buy a gallon, since it has the Secret Recipe printed on it. Hooray!

No comments: