Tuesday, July 3, 2007

Charley Horse

I think I freaked Gus out this morning. At around 5:30, I jumped out of bed with excruciating cramps in my right calf. I was whimpering, it hurt so badly. I could feel it coming on while I was still in bed, and I tried to reach down and pull up on my toes to prevent it-- but it was too late this time! Once it started, it was so severe that I couldn't budge my feet in the slightest. I ended up having to force myself to stand in order to flex my foot a little. It was HORRIBLE!!! As I sit here now, nearly three hours later, my leg is still sore. I am thinking that was probably the worst Charley Horse I have ever had!
Sadly, I have been getting these lovely Charley Horses much more frequently since I've been pregnant. I'm not sure why, since I drink plenty of water and am eating well. I've become pretty adept at recognizing the early twinges and launching a preemptive strike by grabbing my toes, but it doesn't work 100% of the time. sigh... I feel like the guy in the board game Operation-- I need someone to grab some tweezers and get the little horsie out of my leg! STAT!

(ooh check this out: "Leg Cramps (Charley Horse): As your baby grows and puts pressure on your lower body, your legs may not get enough blood. Leg cramps can develop when you are tired or not getting enough calcium in your diet." I definitely get enough calcium-- probably too much, since I'm a milkaholic-- but the blood flow thing is interesting!!)

No comments: