Thursday, May 3, 2012

Water

Well, it rained today. Again! After having several weeks recently where the weather was gorgeous, my parents seemed to have timed their trip out here to coincide with a series of spring showers. And we're expecting thunderstorms tomorrow! Ack! All I can say is that I really hope it all clears up by Saturday, because we have a t-ball game AND the big Little League parade here in town! It would really stink if all that got rained out!

Anyway... Nikos had preschool this morning, so things were pretty low-key while he was gone. After we picked him up, we had a nice lunch at the diner down the street, and then headed out to the Barre Falls Dam Recreation Area. I had hoped we'd be able to have a nice picnic there sometime this week, but it's been way too wet/cold. The rain had subsided by the time we got there, but it was still very wet. First, we hiked down to the "falls" themselves... really, it's the chute where water flows through the dam and into the Ware River. It smelled a little funky today, but it was pretty nonetheless! We are surrounded by water in Central Mass, but rarely do we see it moving like this. Mostly we just have lakes and ponds and small streams and marshes. I love looking at the "big" river!
After that, we wandered around and just explored the area a bit. The grass was soaking wet and, consequently, so were our pants, shoes, and socks. I got Nikos to pose on this rock wall for me, but got nothing but scowls. I swear he was in a good mood! Little punk just wouldn't smile!
And then I thought this picture was funny. My dad was directing the kids onto the grass so that they would avoid walking through the puddle. Did I mention that we were all soaking wet already? haha! It's the thought that counts. :)
We didn't stay there too long. Mostly just long enough to show it to my parents, so they could see what a nice place it would have been for a picnic, had the weather cooperated! It really is very picturesque. But we were cold and soggy, so we headed back home to dry off. The kids snuggled up with my dad on the couch to watch "The Lion King," while my mom and I cleaned up and got warm by the fire. Later, Maya told me that she was a princess, and that she wanted to wear her new Cinderella dress. So, she did! She was so cute! And when I told her to shake her booty, she looked at me and said, "Princesses don't shake their booties." Touche! I love my little princess!
And that was pretty much our day! Tomorrow, we might get some breakfast at Dunkin' Donuts, so my parents can have the true Massachusetts experience (ha!). I know two little kids who will be very happy about that!

No comments: