Saturday, May 5, 2012

Play Ball!

I have to say, I really haven't been this interested in baseball since I was a kid playing softball. And it's not like I have ever been athletically gifted (haha!). But I had SO MUCH FUN playing as a kid, and now I get to relive it! I love going to practices, watching my boy play his games, or practicing with him in the yard (though my dad has taken on the role of Official Baseball Practice Guy this week). It's just so darn fun, and I am enjoying every second!

We started our Saturday with an 11 o'clock game at the local middle school, which meant that they got to play on a real baseball diamond-- with dugouts and everything! This is a huge improvement over the regular t-ball fields, and was Very Exciting. I think Nikos was sort of fascinated with the dirt, because he kept bending down and pushing it around with his glove. Add in the fun little dances he did every time he crossed home plate, and it was an entertaining day indeed! I am pleased to report, though, that his fielding has shown significant improvement. While playing at the pitcher position, he stopped a few balls and threw them to first base. Atta boy!!
Meanwhile, Maya sort of danced around and was just generally wiggly. haha!
After the game, we went home for a quick lunch, then headed back to a different ball field where all the Little Leaguers were congregating for the big parade! We quickly found where our team was supposed to line up, but had to wait around for about half an hour while everyone got organized. There were so many kids-- it was kind of crazy! I ran into my mommy friend from the library, though, and had fun talking to her along with some of the other moms I've met through the team. One of them actually belongs to a "book" club (wine club) that sounds like loads of fun, haha! I think we are going to get along great! Anyhow, when the time came, I kissed Nikos goodbye, and we all ran down to assume our positions along the parade route. And when he went by, he gave us a big grin and his very best parade wave (elbow-elbow-wrist-wrist!):
Shortly after I snapped this photo, they marched into another field down the road, where they were greeted by Twister, the mascot for the Worcester Tornadoes (who recently signed Jose Canseco, we learned! haha!). Well... Nikos has sort of a thing against costumed characters. He is terrified of them! He gave Twister a wiiiiiide berth and, in the process, got separated from his team. He quickly caught up with a different (older) blue team, whose coach was kind enough to walk him back to where he belonged. We were watching from the bleachers, and were helpless to do anything about it, so it was really nice. A local high school girl sang the National Anthem, and then Twister threw out the ceremonial first pitch. It was all very cool and small town-y and patriotic!
And then the kids were done. I got down to the field as quickly as I could, and found Nikos holding his coach's hand and bawling. He hadn't cried during the event, but Twister REALLY freaked him out. He kept saying how scared he was. He didn't even want to stick around and enjoy the bounce house that had been provided just for the t-ball kiddos. It was fine. We went home, and he recovered, and we all played in the back yard. The kid just doesn't like freaky costumes-- I get it!

Anyway, it was a neat day, and he reported that his favorite part was marching by the police cars that were blocking off the road. Of course! I was proud of him. And then Gus and I capped off the evening with a date to go see "The Hunger Games," finally!! A great day indeed!

No comments: