Sunday, May 20, 2012

Glorious Day!

It finally feels like spring (or summer, even) has come to Massachusetts! We still have quite a few rainy days ahead of us, but the temperatures are pretty steadily into the seventies and eighties. Plus, we're getting thunderstorms, which is pretty cool!

Anyway, this weekend was absolutely perfect. Warm temperatures, clear blue skies, and beautiful forests surrounding us in every imaginable shade of green. I already liked living here for a number of reasons, but I officially love it now. We were outside almost nonstop today. The kids are getting tan lines already! Love it!!

We started our morning with a nice long trek on the rail trail. We parked at the place where we usually turn around, and made that our starting point so we could see a new section of the trail. It headed into the state forest in our town, and it was SO lovely! It was already really warm, but this part of the trail was densely forested and very shady. The mosquitos and flies were out in force, though, so it was a good thing I brought the bug spray! On a side note, I got a mosquito bite on my ankle yesterday that is driving me insane! ACK!
Once we got back to the car, we decided to surprise the kids and take them out to lunch. When we finally got home, it was nearly time for Gus to take Nikos to Little League picture day at a local field. Gus went outside and was working on my raised garden bed while I got Nikos dressed. And then I took a few pictures myself, since he was so cute! I wish I had realized that he had his glove on the wrong hand, though. He's a lefty! Oh well, it just makes him even more adorable!
While the boys were gone, my girl and I played outside. We also had to season the new grill before using it, which took a few hours. When the boys got back, they worked hard at finishing up the planter box. Nikos was adamant about wanting to help. He was so proud of the finished product! I can't wait to get some plants in there this week (assuming I have time in between thunderstorms!). It's right next to the driveway, and just steps away from the kitchen. I need to decide what I want in there-- ack!
After Gus finished up and put all the tools away, it was time to break in the new grill! We had some delicious ribeye steaks and corn on the cob, while the kids had hot dogs. We even ate outside, since it was so nice! The kids are particularly obsessed with watermelon lately, so I bought them some at the market (I really don't like it. I realize this makes me some sort of freak of nature.). It was a great way to cap off such a glorious day! I can't wait until our fire pit gets here (sometime this week). It would have been a perfect night to sit out there and enjoy a glass of wine after the kids went to bed!
And that was our day! OH! But I also made an amazing discovery! When we got home after lunch, I noticed that a plant by our driveway was suddenly covered with beautiful flowers (you can actually see the purple flowers by the corner of the house in the photo where Nikos is working on the planter). Well, wouldn't you know it-- they are Sweet Briar roses!!!!!! I think that is SO super cool! And another sign that we were meant to be here. Yay for unexpected treats!

No comments: