Monday, May 21, 2012

I Hope I Don't Kill Them...

My plants, that is! I am so, SO excited to have a beautiful garden, just steps away from my kitchen. History tells me that I am not very good at taking care of plants. But I am really hopeful that the wetter climate here will help me out a bit! I can't tell you how many times I bought plants in California, only to forget to water them. OOPS!! I think it will also help that I am home a lot more, and can take the time to work out in the garden with my two enthusiastic helpers.

Anyway... I got some plants in the ground today! I had bought seed packets months ago, and was planning to start everything indoors and then transplant it. It didn't exactly happen. And I was never sure when the planter would finally get built. Anyway, I had to do some research to figure out which plants I needed to buy, and which ones I still had time to start from seeds. As it turns out, I am still in the window to plant quite a few things from seeds! I could have planted them outside directly, but decided to give them the advantage of germinating indoors in a sheltered environment. Right now, I have 66 little seedlings-in-progress: a variety of lettuces, cucumber, green beans, yellow onions, carrots, and spinach. YUM!! I will get them into the garden bed in a few weeks' time.

I went to the store this morning in search of tomato, broccoli, and bell pepper plants (which I also had seeds for, but it's too late to plant them that way). I came home with a cherry tomato plant, two bell peppers, and a large strawberry plant (the kids wanted it). I got those in the ground, along with the basil plant and green onions I had been growing in my kitchen window. OH!! I also found some incredibly cheap bare-root "Blueray" blueberry bushes!! I planted them alongside the house. I really need to get another variety of blueberry for cross-pollination, but I'll get there eventually. Right now, I just want to see if these plants survive! They look like little twigs sticking out of the ground! IF they live (and that's a big if!), we won't have any blueberries for at least two years. I'm excited nonetheless! They were $3 each-- you can't beat that!

On a different note... When we went out shopping this morning, we also picked up the ingredients to make s'mores. Because-- brace yourself!-- we are going camping next month! I haven't been camping since whenever the last time was that I went with my parents... a billion years ago. We used to camp a LOT, but it's been a very, very long time. Gus and the kids are very excited that I have finally caved and planned a family camping trip. And I won't lie-- I am excited, too! I think the kids are at great ages now, and we will really enjoy it. The campground we're staying at is only a half hour drive away, and not far at all from supermarkets, etc., in case we need them, haha!

However, I will not eat s'mores. I am just telling you all right now. I had a bad experience on a Brownie camping trip on Mt. Diablo when I was a kid, and I have never looked at s'mores the same since (funny, since I have no problem eating the three things separately!). I will gladly toast marshmallows, though. I can't wait!!

No comments: