Monday, April 4, 2011

Potty Training Version 2.0

I can't believe I am about to do this. I don't WANT to do this. All those people who say, "Oh, hooray, you won't ever have to buy diapers again" are forgetting two crucial things. One is that diapers make life incredibly easy. Long car trip? Just go in your diaper. In the middle of grocery shopping? Just go in your diaper! It's lovely! Smelly, sure, but easy and convenient as the day is long!

The second thing they forget is just how stressful it can be to go out-and-about with a newly potty-trained toddler. I know it can be done, and we will get through it, but it will probably be stressful for a while. Just how long can she hold it before we have an accident? How often does she really go, compared to her brother? And the age-old but always fun question: What if we don't make it in time?

sigh.

Yet, here we are. Maya tells me she has to go potty on an almost daily basis... then does it (in her diaper). She sees everyone else using the potty, and knows the routine. She even has her dolls sit on the potty (with the lid closed) and then wipes their bottoms and tells them to wash their hands. She is really jazzed about the whole thing. Really, it's time. I can't put it off much longer. And I am home for Spring Break this week, so I have no excuse.

So... I will be doing the same three-day plan that I did with Nikos, starting when she gets up tomorrow. After she eats breakfast, we will toss the diaper and put her in some undies. I will stick to her like glue all day, constantly telling her to tell me when she has to go potty. I know that there will be the inevitable puddles to clean up (most unfortunate, the day after our cleaning lady came!). Hopefully, though, she will get just as mad about the mess as her brother did, and the puzzle pieces will click together quickly. I will put her in a pull-up at naptime tomorrow, and at bedtime, but am hoping to have her in underwear for her nap on Wednesday. Nikos took a few weeks to become nighttime trained, so I won't worry about that just yet. Honestly, I am going to have enough on my plate as it is! I am just hoping I can follow through! I am so tired, but it has to be done. Lord help me.

Anyway... We spent our last day of diaper-dom at my parents' house, since the cleaning lady was coming and we didn't need to be underfoot. The kids and I had a BLAST! The weather was beautiful, and we walked down to the park two separate times (morning and afternoon). Maya dazzled us all (me included) with her new ability to climb up the chain ladder on the play structure. She is such a little monkey! Nikos was all over the place, as usual, and probably went down the slides a hundred times.




By the way, that second picture is of Nikos giving Maya a kiss when she bonked her head at the park. The sweetness of it just kills me! Speaking of which... When we weren't at the park, the kids were content to play around the house. At one point, both were a little pooped, and they cuddled up together (completely on their own!) to watch Dora. Cute? Yes, I think so.

And, during naptime, I finished up this hat for Maya. For someone who had never successfully knitted anything until this past weekend, I am thinking it is pretty awesome! And despite her less-than-thrilled expression, she later informed me that she liked it. Yay! Time to make one for Nikos (a red one, by request).

And that's it, for now... Better hit the hay early tonight and conserve energy for tomorrow. Eek!

No comments: