Monday, September 1, 2008

*Telling the Family

With Nikos, we kept my pregnancy a secret a little while before telling everyone. But with this one, we were presented with the opportunity to tell everyone in person, since we'd all be together for the baptism. So even though I am barely 4 weeks pregnant, we decided to spill the beans to our parents, siblings, and koumbari (Nikos' godparents and our wedding sponsors... who are like close family).

After the baptism, I kept trying to pull my parents aside to tell them, but it just wasn't happening with that many people around. So Gus and I walked them to their car when they decided to go home. Along the way, I asked them what they were doing in May (much like I asked them about October when I told them I was pregnant with Nikos). I thought for sure my mom would catch on right away, especially since she knew we were trying. But she didn't! She said, "I don't know-- why? What are we doing in May??" So I said... "going to a hospital..." at which point she shrieked, "YOU'RE PREGNANT?!?" (I was actually worried that the guests at the party might have heard her yell, but I don't think they did). Anyway, they were both happy. Of course!

We did the same thing about an hour later, when my brother and his wife decided to leave. I flat-out told them that I was pregnant. I think they thought I was joking, because they were both asking me, "Are you serious??" Anyway, they were happy, too (of course!) and now have more experience! I am hoping my brother won't freak out when it's time to hold baby number two in the hospital. He was really on edge last time.

We never did get a chance to tell Gus' parents that evening, mainly because they were running all over the place and taking care of their guests. But the next morning, after we all went to church so that Nikos could take communion with his godparents, we went out to lunch. Nikos was still wearing his white baptismal outfit, so I took him out to the car to change him into something else (I could just see him making a huge mess on his crisp white clothes!). The "something else" was the big brother t-shirt and a pair of shorts. I brought him back into the restaurant, and Gus sort of stood him on the table so that everyone could see. Maria (Nikos' godmother) read the shirt out loud, but it didn't register. A minute or so later, Gus' sister said, "Wait-- are you PREGNANT???" Much confusion followed, as some people had not been paying attention to the shirt and didn't know what was going on. But in the end, everything was straightened out, and there was much hugging and happiness. So Nikos got to share in the "telling" process, too, even though he can't talk!

We are all so excited to have another little one in the family... I can't wait to meet Nikos' little brother or sister!! :)

No comments: