Friday, June 20, 2014

Summer School?

So last night, it hit me that I had a workbook somewhere in the house... Summer Bridge Activities for kids who have just finished kindergarten. But where was it? I looked all over, but couldn't find it. In the process of digging around, though, I found all sorts of other things. Leveled reading books that Niko hadn't read yet. Books of science experiments and art projects. All sorts of books by authors that were on Niko's summer reading list. All kinds of educational games. So I started pulling these things out, thinking it would be fun to use some of them this summer. I have no plan to torture my kids all summer or anything, but I also want them to stay sharp, you know? With Niko, in particular, I worry about his handwriting... it has improved SO MUCH over the year, and I am already seeing it start to slide again. Not good!!

Anyway, I remembered where the workbook was this morning (the laundry room, of course. ha!). And the kids and I got to talking about it. They liked the idea of "Summer Fun School" (their name for it!). We made a sign of the things they need to do every day. Niko will do a page or two in his workbook, and Maya will go through the sight word flashcards. Both kids have journals, and they will each write in them every day (I am REALLY pushing this with Niko, for his handwriting more than anything else!). And then we will read-- Niko will read me a book every day, and I will read to both kids (nothing new there-- I do that every day). And they can play games. And I will periodically toss in a science experiment or art project, both things they love! So, that's our big plan for Summer Fun School. Niko is already excited to get up and do his workbook pages in the morning. I kid you not!

When we aren't doing this stuff (in other words: most of the time), we have big plans to have fun! We went out to lunch today, and came home to play in the baby pool. Our original plans to go swimming at Caryn's house were scrapped when her son woke up with a fever of 103. So, we will swim there soon. But the baby pool was more than adequate for having some fun at our own house!
We also made a "Summer Bucket List" of things we want to do this summer. We're still adding to it, but it includes things like picking strawberries and blueberries, going camping, fishing from the canoe, and going to the drive-in. All things that are totally doable, but it's nice to have them all written out so that we don't forget. And both kids are also begging for a slumber party with friends, so... we'll see. I need to pick the friends, haha!

Summer, here we come! :)

No comments: