Tuesday, June 17, 2014

Fun in the Sun!

We had a pretty gray spring this year. It's finally warming up now, with just a few days to spare! But it looks like summer will be especially nice this year, considering all the snow/rain we've gotten. The plants are very happy, and Central Massachusetts is green for as far as the eye can see! It's awesome!

Anyway, this is Niko's last week of school. Technically, he should have been done last week, but we had some snow days to make up (5-- the maximum built into the school calendar plan). So this week just FEELS like summer. Yesterday morning, we went to his friend Connor's house, where both kids swam with Connor and another friend, Brayden. Their pool is brand-new and gorgeous! The kids swam and played up until the last possible minute, when we drove them to school, wet hair and all!
Then, today, I had to get up early to head over to the volunteer recognition breakfast at the elementary school. I'm glad I went, though! The principal had a nice gift for me, and Niko's teacher gave me a small thing of hand lotion. I knew the vast majority of the parents there, too, so it was quite a social event! We had coffee and all sorts of breakfast goodies. And the gym teacher babysat everyone's kids, so it was an Adults Only event. FUN! And look at the water bottle the principal gavve me-- I love it! And the little green container holds lemonade powder. :)
Shortly after we got home, a friend texted me and asked if we wanted to meet up at the town playground. So, we did! The kids got hot pretty quickly, though. 85 degrees plus humidity is a bit on the uncomfortable side. But there are some nice shady trees nearby, so they rested there. It cracks me up, looking at the two boys. Daryl was the first "new" kid we met this year, at the kindergarten "picnic in the gym" event they held before school started. We walked in, and I was determined to sit by someone new and make a friend. And I did! And the boys happened to be in the same class! haha! They were so shy and would barely say two words to each other... and now they are great buddies. And his mom and I are on PTO together, and were basically the only two parents who volunteered in that classroom this year. Funny how it all turned out!
After that, we stopped in at Dunkin Donuts really quickly to pick up his teacher's end-of-year gift (a gift card... the gift of coffee!). We came home, and ate a quick lunch out on the deck. I got Niko on the bus, and Maya was meeeelting. It was HOT. So I got the hose and sprinkler all set up, and she ran around in them for a while to cool off. Afterwards, she had truly spectacular hair. It was AWESOME! :)
When Niko came home, Maya instantly told him all about playing in the sprinkler. Naturally, he wanted to do it, too! So they both went back in. Everyone was happy! Tomorrow, they want me to pull out the slip-and-slide!

Now, since karate was cancelled for the night, we are off to dinner at my favorite local Mexican place. YUM!!

No comments: