Tuesday, June 24, 2014

Little Swimmer!

So... I have been anxious about swimming at Caryn's house, ever since they opened their pool for the year. We went to a pool party a few weeks ago, and Niko was initially nervous that he wouldn't remember how to swim... and this led to a brief "freak out" moment. Then, he had to be coaxed into the water at his friend Connor's house... but they have a lovely in-ground pool that is much shallower on one end (he could walk in). Caryn's pool, however, is a typical above-ground pool (the most popular type in New England, because of the freezing winters). It's the same depth all over, and Niko can't touch the bottom anywhere except for the steps. So... yeah. I was nervous! I was afraid he would freak out again!

Instead, the boy suddenly seemed to remember everything, and channeled his inner fish. He did so great! He was swimming all over, and diving under to inspect the pool bottom. I was so proud! But I was never more proud than when he finally conquered his fear and jumped off the side of the pool... over, and over, and over!!! He loved it! We have entered a new era, people!
Maya had a great time, too, once she got used to the water. I really need to take her swimming a bunch over the next week or so, since we have lessons beginning on July 7th! I can't have her clinging to me!
Anyway, that was our afternoon, followed by karate class. The morning, however, was also interesting! I dropped the kids off at Miranda's house and went to chat with Niko's principal about my life plans. I've become friendly with her over the year through my PTO involvement, and had some questions for her. Basically, I was interested in becoming a paraprofessional (aide) when Maya goes into first grade. The principal talked me out of it, though, saying that subbing was a much better route for me. And she said she would get my sub application pushed through, since the district has an official stance of not accepting new subs. So, it was a really great meeting! I am so glad I was able to go in and talk with her, and get her insight on the district's hiring practices. One more year. This will be good!

No comments: