Wednesday, June 18, 2014

What Does the Fox Say?

I can't believe I forgot to share this story!!

So, Maya and I were outside while Niko was at school-- it was on Monday, I think. Maya was scouring the grass, trying to find the plastic nosepiece to a glider that Niko had lost on Sunday. Suddenly, I heard a weird noise. It was sort of a coughing/barking/snuffling sound, and it was close by. My gut told me it was a fox. I told Maya to come get on the deck, and she did. And, as she was walking up the steps, a large red fox walked right across the far corner of the yard!!! I was stunned! It was not even 2pm. I'm sure it's probably the same fox who took Hanky, and he/she was coming back to see if we had more chickens. All the more reason to make sure the new coop area is completely secure before getting more chickens. Yikes!!

Anyway... I've been paranoid ever since then, wondering what creatures may be lurking in the dense forest surrounding our yard. The raspberries are going to be ripe soon-- I really hope we can pick them without being scared of animals inside the bushes. ack!!!

But yes... fast-forward to today... it was another warm one! We actually had rain overnight, and there was a cool breeze today, so it was much more comfortable. But still definitely warm. We started our morning by heading over to the school and dropping Niko off so that he could participate in their annual Literacy Parade. Every student at the school had to read a book and, depending on their grade level, do some sort of project (the kindergarteners all made hats). The parade was in the morning, which meant that the afternoon kindergarteners had the option of participating. But I wanted to see! And some of his buddies went, so everyone was happy! Here's our boy, with his "The Story About Ping" hat (and holding the book given to me on my 6th birthday by my aunt Stacy, according to the inscription!)
When we got back from the parade, we still had another hour before Niko needed to eat lunch and start getting ready for school. And he had been begging me to set up the slip-n-slide, so I did. He didn't use it for long, but he had fun with it nonetheless!
Later, once Niko had gone to school and I had finished running errands (putting together gifts for the classroom aides and bus drivers), Maya wanted to do some bird-watching...
And that was basically our day! Tomorrow is Niko's last day of school, and then summer begins! HALLELUJAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No comments: