Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Yiayia is Here!

First of all, Happy (belated) Valentine's Day!

Gus' mom flew in yesterday! She actually got in at around 5:30am and, after a brief stop to get coffee and some Valentine goodies for the kids, she and Gus arrived at the house just before 8:00. At that point, we were all up and eating our breakfast downstairs. The kids had NO idea she was coming, since we wanted it to be a surprise. Actually, we told them that they would get a really BIG Valentine's Day surprise if they were good, but their guesses were way off! Maya was convinced it would be something edible, and kept asking me what the surprise would taste like. Nikos was just mad, demanding I tell him what the surprise was because he NEEDED to know. Mwahahaha! Nice try, kiddo!

Anyhow, Gus walked in first, which was a surprise in itself. The kids had thought he was at work, so I think they thought that he was the surprise. So they ran over to hug him, and then yiayia stepped out from around the wall. Ack! They were SO surprised! And laughing. And I won't lie, I cried a little. The whole thing was so sweet!!!

But yes. She and Gus took Nikos to preschool, and then came back to hang out with Maya while I went to my doctor's appointment (just a physical-- more on that in a bit!). The appointment ran long, so I picked Nikos up from school and then we picked everyone up from the house so we could go out to lunch. Then we just hung out at home, and had my first-ever homemade heart-shaped pizza for dinner. The heart turned out pretty well, if I do say so myself! Greasy? Sure. But tasty! And the section without pepperoni is for Maya, our little cheese pizza lover.

And then we had goodies. The kids and I had made chocolate cupcakes, and then peanut butter cookies with heart-shaped Dove chocolates on top. SO YUMMY!! I could eat the entire plate of cookies all by myself, seriously.

Today was a much more quiet day. I spent most of the morning cooking and getting various things done, while Yiayia ironed all of Gus' work shirts (since I am horrible at ironing and super impatient). Really, we were sticking around the house in hopes that Nikos' new bedroom furniture would arrive, but it never did. sigh!!! I am guessing it will be here tomorrow. And then I will have the pleasure of assembling it all. Prepare for many pictures!

After lunch, we left a note on the door for the delivery guy, and then went out back for a bit. I snapped this photo for my mom... it's Nikos wearing the new hat she made and sent him for Valentine's Day. The Massachusetts Brown Bear, hehe!

And eventually, I got frustrated with waiting for the furniture, and it looked like it wasn't going to happen. Not wanting to waste the entire day, I left another note on the door and we all headed into Worcester to show Yiayia the closest Greek Orthodox church. And then we checked out a nearby Mediterranean grocery store, where we stocked up on feta, phyllo, and all sorts of yummy things that she will turn into goodies for us while she's here. On the way to the car, Yiayia's arms were overloaded with bags... so Nikos grabbed her purse, unprompted, and marched to the car with it! I grabbed my camera out of my purse as fast as I could, haha!

And that was basically our day! Tomorrow, I have a dentist appointment, and I will pick up our long-overdue Massachusetts license plates from our insurance agent. It's so nice having family here and being able to leave the kids for a bit to get things done. As it was, my bloodwork turned up some interesting results at my physical yesterday: my cholesterol is AWESOME (go me, haha!), but my vitamin D and iron levels are almost nonexistant. No joke. The doctor showed me the normal ranges for an adult, and then the normal ranges for a child... and mine were waaaaaaaay below that, even. To the point where a regular over-the-counter supplement won't even do the trick-- I need prescription meds. And hello! No WONDER I am tired all the time! So I am happy to be getting treatment. And I am super optimistic that tomorrow's dental visit will be uneventful. I don't really want any cavities, thank-you-very-much!

No comments: