Saturday, February 11, 2012

Take Me Out to the Ballgame...

Nikos has been really into baseball lately. Really, he's been into it for a long time now, but his interest sort of comes in spurts. Over the past few days, though, he has rarely been seen without his lefty glove and UCLA baseball cap on! He also has a soft bat and ball that we let him play with inside the house. And he's been watching this one episode of the TV show "Arthur" (based on the books by Marc Brown) that is loosely based on the Red Sox and "The Curse of the Bambino". Anyhow, it made me think, "I wonder if there is baseball around here for a kid his age?"

Five minutes and a quick internet search later, I had my answer. Yup! Our town's Little League offers tee ball for kids ages four to six! The price is very reasonable, too! So I knew I had to sign him up. Only one problem-- the deadline for registration was back on January 30th. Doh! I read a little further on, though, and found out that the deadline had been extended-- to today! Long story short, I managed to eke enough ink out of our printer (by literally dripping water onto the dry ink cartridges!) to print the forms yesterday morning, and took them to the post office in the afternoon. The mailing address is a P.O. box at our local post office, so it's not like it had to go far, haha! And as it was, the postal worker told me she would just put it straight into the Little League's box-- NOT the normal protocol, since they usually send mail out to be processed, but she was super nice. Small town mentality strikes again!

Anyway, Nikos is VERY excited! Me too, though I am also nervous! The schedule hasn't been posted yet, so I really don't know exactly what I've signed up for. I'm assuming there are weekly practices and games on the weekends. I do know that all the games and practices are at the schools here in town, which means they are all less than a five-minute drive away. I get nervous, since I really won't know ANYONE... but then I console myself by thinking that there are certainly other parents in the same boat-- especially if this is their kid's first year doing it, and they don't have older children. Plus, I know it is going to be really, REALLY funny to watch. I will definitely be posting videos, haha!

And so, now we wait! Nikos says he wants to be on the red team and be the number 10, but I keep explaining to him that it doesn't work that way. Silly boy!

No comments: