Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Small Town, U.S.A.

Well, I gave in and went to the doctor this afternoon. I really, REALLY didn't want to, since I had both kids with me, but my throat was hurting even more than before. It still hurts. To breathe, talk, swallow, everything. And it's really the only obvious symptom I have. So, off to the doctor I went.

My friend had given me her doctor's information, but he was a good 20-25 minute drive away. I decided to look on our health care company's site to see if there were any providers here in town. And there was exactly one-- less than a mile away. I figured I would give her a try, knowing that our plan allowed me to switch later on if I wanted to. So I called the office, and she was the one who answered. That threw me off a little, but she later told me that her husband is actually her "office staff," and he had the day off for whatever reason. She was SO nice and fun to talk to on the phone-- I had a great feeling about her from the start. And sure enough, she was awesome. It turns out that she really is the only doctor here in town, and she lives here, too. The UMass lab (for bloodwork and whatnot) also happens to be located inside her office, which is good to know. AND, she answers/returns calls at all hours, and will see you even if it's after hours (assuming she is available and it's urgent). On top of all that, she knew her stuff. I seriously can't believe how I hit the jackpot on the first try! Bonus: the office is exactly two minutes away. It's right by Nikos' preschool. It doesn't get much more convenient than that!

Anyway, she said my ears both look really bad, which is something I hadn't noticed. So it's possible that this could be related to an ear infection. Or I have strep throat, which we'll know about tomorrow. Either way, I'm on antibiotics and a nasal spray for the next 10 days. Here's hoping they work fast, because the swallowing thing is making my meals miserable-- especially dinner tonight. Oh, and forget reading bedtime stories or engaging my children in conversation. ugh!

So, the next step was to actually get my meds. The doctor recommended the pharmacy right down the road (literally about a 15 second drive), which I'd never been in before. Honestly, it looked like a tiny little thing, so I figured it was JUST a pharmacy-- and I'd never had any reason to go in there. Well, looks can be deceiving. It was pretty good-sized, and had lots to offer besides just medicine. Great to know! Plus, it's independently owned (hooray for small businesses!), and the pharmacists themselves were super nice and friendly. I feel like I keep saying that, haha! But seriously. I know this is a gross overgeneralization, but people here are so nice! Everyone I've talked to has been really friendly, and people actually seem to care about others. I hate to say that it's different from California, since I (obviously) know so many wonderful people there, but it seems like the mentality is just different. Maybe it's the small-town thing. But the people here have been just great!

Anyway, I was pleased to find a wonderful doctor and a great pharmacy within a two-minute drive. Not bad, if I do say so myself! It helps make me feel like I'm part of this community, if that even makes sense. Happy dance!

In other news... it was above fifty degrees today, which felt downright toasty in comparison to the temps we've been having. The kids and I made a supermarket run, and it dawned on me that I hadn't held their bare hands in a while-- they always have mittens on when we're out! It was just lovely, aside from being sick. And then it started to sprinkle on our drive home, which meant that we HAD to go outside when we got home. Why? Because I bought them each umbrellas the other day, and they have been dying to test them. Of course! So we did. And I took pictures, because that's what I do.


That was our day! Tomorrow I am charged with making something for Gus to bring to his office party on Friday. That should be fun-- assuming my throat feels better and I can taste-test the results!

No comments: