Sunday, February 19, 2012

Farms and Other Fun

I meant to post yesterday, but we've been too busy having fun!

Actually, the main reason I didn't post was because Gus and I got to go out on a date last night. Hooray for having a "babysitter" in town! We ended up going to a Mexican restaurant in Worcester, which was pretty good-- especially considering just how far we are from Mexico now, haha! Later, we went to see "War Horse" at the second-run (AKA cheap-but-awesome) movie theater nearby. I really enjoyed it, but was not aware that I would require tissues. Even though it was predictable, I still cried like a baby. ugh!

Anyway, the rest of our day yesterday was fun! We went to the farms I mentioned before, and came home with lots of yummy beef and lamb cuts. Oh, and multicolored eggs from some Easter Egg chickens, which the kids enjoyed. I especially liked the beef farm, where you could see the big Black Angus steers up close and personal (although I guess that's kind of weird, since I am going to enjoy eating one of their buddies). The kids liked it, too. Steak, anyone?


The owner of that farm was a younger woman who was about my age. She was really nice! She even said I should email her if I ever need recs on local plumbers, electricians, etc. AND she threw in some ground beef for free, just because she said we needed to try it. I haven't tasted any of it yet, but it looks SO good! I can hardly wait!

After that, we drove to the second farm. While this one was a lot bigger and much more commercial, they didn't have as much in the way of food for sale. It's more of an educational place. And most of the animal fencing was electrified, which made me SUPER paranoid! The bunnies were safe, though, and Maya liked waving hello to them:

They had a yak, too, which was fun... but again, electrified fencing. Ack!

After we were done there, we drove back to the same farmstand we visited on Friday so that Gus' mom could buy some more honey. We had bought some on Friday, and it was SO good! And then we decided to check out a local diner down the road for some lunch. Maya enjoyed her chocolate milk:

Today, we had sort of a lazy morning, and then went out to lunch. And then we went to a local children's museum! Actually, it's so much more than that. It's like an awesome playground, train ride, science museum, nature preserve, and zoo all rolled into one. It was VERY crowded, which was not a surprise considering the holiday weekend, but it was fun nonetheless. We decided to become members! So now we can go back anytime we want, and we can bring up to two adults and two more kids with us at the same time. They have a storytime there every week, as well as daily educational presentations on different animals. So cool! The kids are already begging to go back!





All in all, it's been a very fun weekend. Tomorrow, we are expecting the delivery of our new chest freezer for the basement-- woohoo!-- as well as the rest of Nikos' big boy bed. The bedroom set that was supposed to arrive last Wednesday, but then got pushed to Friday. One piece came on Friday, then one on Saturday, and the other two are allegedly coming tomorrow. Annoying much??? Needless to say, we are not exactly pleased with this company, but I will wait for the pieces to get here before giving them a piece of my mind. Fingers crossed that they really DO come tomorrow, specially since it's President's Day and all... sigh!

No comments: