Tuesday, June 19, 2012

An Embarrassing Admission...

So... my kids have never been to the dentist. There, I said it. I feel like a horrible mom, too. But I have put it off for so long because Nikos has always been a "difficult customer." He still hates having his hair cut, or his nails, or really being put in any position where he is not in complete control. I figured that a visit to the dentist would be an epic failure. And I thought, "Maybe he will outgrow it..." From that point, I just sort of forgot about it. Until recently, where I would wake up in the middle of the night and frantically think, "FIVE! He's almost FIVE and has never been to the dentist!!" I consider myself a pretty good and responsible mom, so this really, really bothered me. ugh!

Anyway, I finally rectified it yesterday. I got on the computer, determined to find a highly-rated pediatric dentist nearby who took our insurance. And I did! I called them and scheduled appointments for both kids, though the earliest they could get us in was August. Well, that's not entirely true... they could have gotten us in earlier, but the receptionist was determined that the kids be with this one hygienist who was amazing with the more difficult kids. And I supported that decision!

Imagine my surprise when this same receptionist called me this morning, letting me know that they'd had a cancellation! Ack! So, Maya went to the dentist today! I had her go first, since she tends to be a little more easy-going about things than her brother, and it would give him a chance to see that the dentist was not scary. And you know what? It really wasn't! I had to pry my children away from the place when it was time to leave! Everything there was just perfect. It was a clean, bright office loaded with fun stuff. The dentist even wore a bow-tie and was so super friendly. I kind of want to go there for my teeth, too, haha! Maya did very well, with some gentle coaxing. They gave her tons of praise and encouragement, and she got to pick out prizes after each part of her exam. Everyone was so friendly and great with the kids! I am so, SO glad we had a positive first dental experience-- and I am hopeful for a repeat performance when Nikos has his turn!

Today's visit comes on the heels of yesterday's doctor visit for Miss Maya's three year checkup. She did great there, too! Our little girl is just perfect, and measured at the seventy-fifth percentile for both weight and height. I was actually surprised by that, since I feel like she is smaller than most three-year-old girls I know, but I am just happy that she is growing well. That's our girl!

Anyway... today was crazy, with the sudden dentist appointment, a very-necessary run to the store to get supplies for camping this weekend, a trip to the town pool to buy our passes for the summer, and then a magic show at the library to kick off the summer reading program. We were gone for about six hours straight, and lived to tell the tale! Tomorrow, we're going to go to Caryn's house. And on Thursday, we're meeting my friend Jen and her kids at the lake for some swimming. It's supposed to be in the mid-nineties over the next few days. Summer is finally here!!

No comments: