Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Check!

Eighty degrees! YES! What an awesome first day of Spring, yippee!!

And what a productive day, too! I had a "To Do" list that was a mile long today, with some very major items on there, and I managed to take care of almost everything. I am exhausted from it all, but am feeling rather accomplished!

My day, in a nutshell: Got Nikos to preschool (dressed in shorts and a t-shirt... no mittens! so weird!). Promptly drove to our insurance agent's office to take care of getting Gus' motorcycle properly registered. Went straight from there to the town clerk's office to get the permit paperwork for our pellet stove (woohoo!). Also discussed property boundaries, and figured out who I need to talk to about determining who a piece of land belongs to (because there's an abandoned car that looks like it's on our property, but isn't... and we want it gone!). Sadly, that office didn't open until later. Maya and I then went to story time at the library, where they read books about Spring, made construction-paper flowers, and ate flower-shaped cookies. I also talked to my potential new friend, but more on that later (haha!). From there, we went straight to get Nikos from preschool. Came home, ate lunch, and I spent the next two hours making some very important phone calls. Got lots of things straightened out. Finally, we played outside. ahhhh...

So nice! But after a while, I felt the urge to be productive (I need to knock it off, seriously!). I went in the garage and sorted all the remaining swing set pieces into piles, and labeled them so that our construction will go a lot faster tomorrow. And eventually, when it started to get late, we came inside and I cleaned the house. Story of my life! It was a good day, though!
-----
Back to my new mommy friend. Meeting new friends at my age feels like dating, I swear! I don't have the advantage of making new friends through my job anymore... it's just me, putting myself out there! I've had the amazing fortune to "know" a few local people through my online mommy group, but I feel a strong urge to branch out and make more friends. There's this one mom who was at story time last week and this week, and we always seem to end up talking together. She has two older boys (a kindergartener and a first-grader) and a little girl who is just five days younger than Maya. She is really nice! She's lived in this town for pretty much her whole life. Her mom is a kindergarten teacher. I know lots of things about her... And yet... I have no idea what her name is!!!!! ACK! We've never actually introduced ourselves, though we know the kids' names. I was determined to introduce myself today, but it just didn't happen. And now we will be in that awkward place, where we are sort-of friends who don't know each others' names. DOH!! I told her that the nearby farm stand had a story time, though, and she had no idea... so I'm thinking I need to ask her if she wants to meet there and check it out at some point. A date! haha!!

I am going to make friends, or die trying! :)

No comments: