Monday, March 26, 2012

Brr

I have to say, last week's weather really spoiled us! It was consistently in the sixties and seventies, and was so, so lovely! Today, the temperature hovered right around 40 degrees. And actually, the thermometer says that it is currently 26 degrees in our back yard. BRR!! It's a wee bit chilly!

Still, it was sunny and beautiful-looking today, and the kids were bound and determined to play outside. Nikos found our bucket of sidewalk chalk the other day, and had expressed his desire to play hopscotch on our portch. He is so funny! But he's been really into it ever since we played it at the children's science museum. So, we played hopscotch. He fished a coin out his piggy bank to use as a marker, and I drew out a twenty-square course (his request... it also had to go around the corner to make it more challenging). He insisted on writing the numbers himself, which was fun to watch... I've never really seen him write many numbers before, and he asked for help on a few, but he did pretty well overall! He never ceases to amaze me!

Maya, on the other hand, wanted nothing to do with hopscotch. She just wanted to draw with the chalk, so that's what she did. I seized the opportunity to grab the tape measure and take various measurements of our porch. It needs new screens, a door, and new window sills. So I measured everything out. And it looks like we should be able to redo it all (and fairly easily) for about $200-- not bad! We'll just need to get a little bistro set for out there, and we will have a fun, screened-in porch to enjoy this summer. It will be awesome!

Today, though, it got very chilly, very quickly. So we ended up back inside after about half an hour. Maya, however, still wanted to draw. I walked into the kitchen to find her sitting at the counter, drawing in my little notebook (where I had written all the porch measurements). She was working on this little monster, which I thought was very good! I can actually recognize it! Go, Maya!!

The rest of the day was consumed with a bunch of boring phone calls, getting various things organized and straightened out. I also ordered an additional handset for our phone, which excites me far more than it should, haha! But the good news is that I got a lot of things done, freeing me to leave the house and do other things tomorrow. Like grocery shopping. And story time at the library. And a doctor's appointment. Exciting times!

No comments: