Saturday, December 20, 2008

What little girls are made of

Well, if you ask me, the whole "sugar and spice and everything nice" thing is pretty accurate, given the number of frosted sugar cookies and chocolates that I have consumed in the past 24 hours! This kiddo is going to be made out of sugar! It doesn't help, either, that more than half of the gifts my students gave me yesterday were edible (sadly, they know I am a certifiable chocoholic). sigh. I am fairly certain that I am doomed to gain more weight with this pregnancy than I did with Nikos. Of course, I am a lot more active (chasing Nikos around), so maybe it
will all balance out in the end???

Anyway... I still can't believe our good luck: a baby girl! I've been daydreaming about it all week, since we found out. She pretty much has a name already, but don't bother asking-- we're not telling! :) Since Nikos' name was pretty much a done deal from the moment we knew he was a boy, and everyone knew it, we think it would be more fun to keep this one a surprise. So that's the plan, at least for now!

In the meantime, I've already picked out bedding for her room, and preparations are underway to start whipping it into shape! Her room is currently our office/guestroom, home to two desks, two desktop computers, and a twin bed. The twin bed will be going to its new home on Monday, so that'll be out of the way! Florian, the French guy who lived with us before Nikos was born, was finally able to get his own apartment, so he'll gladly take the bed he already slept on for several months. The computers are going to be a far trickier matter. I'm thinking that laptops are probably the way to go, with wireless networking. We already have one laptop, which we hardly use (it needs more RAM), but I'm thinking that it could become Gus' "at home" computer. As for myself, I would need something much more powerful to do all the stuff I do (photo/video editing, etc.). My brother told me last week that he happens to have a spare wireless router sitting around, which he said he'd give to us. So really, we'd just need a new laptop for me. I'd still keep one monitor, mouse, and keyboard to hook the laptop up to when editing pictures, but I think that makes a lot more sense than trying to find a new home in our already-crowded house for the two bulky desktops.

Once the computer situation is resolved and the bed is gone, the room should be pretty easy! We won't need to paint, aside from a few touch-ups, because we like the color (buttery yellow) that's in there already. And the crown moulding pieces are already cut to length and just sitting in the garage, waiting to be painted and installed. Furniture will be easy... Nikos' crib and changing table will move into his sister's room (in a few months) and he will get a toddler bed and some low bookcases. The hardest part will be fixing up her closet, which isn't much more than a coat closet right now (yes, it's that small). Gus is going to make a custom closet, with drawers down below, hanging space in the middle, and lots of shelves up above. I'll take down the yucky vertical blinds in the room and replace them with a blackout shade and some cute curtains. And the rest is just decoration! That's the fun part! :)

Anyway... here is the bedding we'll be getting for our baby girl. I think it will look great with the yellow walls and white furniture we already have. Hooray!! :) :)


In other news: We are all sick!! :( I am so plugged up that I can't hear out of my left ear (and this is day #3 of that loveliness), Nikos is cutting two molars, has a cold, AND has an ear infection, and Gus is still hanging on to a cold that has nagged him for a few weeks now. What a pathetic sight we must be!

No comments: