Wednesday, December 24, 2008

The Elusive Crib Sheet

So now that the big furniture is gone from the new baby's room and I've begun the process of cleaning it out, I've started thinking a lot more about the fun part: decorating! Previously, I mentioned that we (okay, I) had chosen bedding for her room. Honestly, I have had that bedding chosen for ages-- since I found out I was pregnant with Nikos (obviously I didn't know he was a boy at the time). I really just love that bedding! And I've searched high and low, but nothing else really does it for me. I can visualize that particular bedding set in our baby girl's little yellow room-- and nothing else!

But as it turns out, it's not as easy as just ordering the bedding and being done with it. It turns out that several parts of the set have been discontinued. Actually, it's really odd. In the picture of the bedding, the dust ruffle and the sheet are actually called "Garden Party," while the quilt, bumper, and valance are called "Daisy Garden." The Daisy Garden stuff is still readily available, but the Garden Party stuff is not. How dumb is that?!? I was able to still get the dust ruffle online, but the sheet is completely sold out everywhere! I called the store, and they said that there was not a single Garden Party sheet left in any of their retail stores or outlets. Nooooo!!!

Naturally, my next course of action was to scour online auction sites and classifieds. No luck... although I did find one auction that had ended already-- and the $16 sheet had sold for $60!!!! No thanks! On a whim, I decided to post in the "items wanted" section of CraigsList. I mean, what are the odds that a) anyone will even read that, and b) that they will have the sheet I want.

I logged onto my junk email account tonight-- the one I use for mailing lists, etc.-- and I had this email waiting for me:

Hi,
I was just in craigslist and saw you wanted this crib sheet. I wanted to let you know I have 1 crib sheet. It's very gently used. I bought it with the Olivia butterfly collection and ended up using the chamois sheet. So literally I opened it, washed it, and set up the, my baby slept on it for 1 week and then I bought the chamois sheets that I love.


She goes on to mention that she lives in our town, a whopping five minutes away. Is this too good to be true????? What are the odds??? I emailed her back right away, telling her I would gladly pay her whatever she paid (retail), assuming it's the correct sheet (I did post a picture of it, so she could compare). I am beyond psyched right now. Yes, I know-- it's a SHEET, for heaven's sake. But it's THE sheet I have been hunting for! Hooray!!!!! :)

No comments: