Wednesday, April 22, 2009

The Great News!

So I mentioned yesterday that I had great news to share, but I couldn't say what it was until now. I HAVE A JOB NEXT YEAR!! The teachers in my school district voted to approve a 2.7% temporary salary "rollback" to save the jobs of approximately 150 teachers. And since I'm #29 on the list, I should be good to go! Even without the pay cut, I'd probably still have a job with all the retirements/resignations... But this pretty much seals the deal. I am SO HAPPY! I can go out on my maternity leave next week without wondering if I'll have a job to return to in the fall. Hooray!

Over the past week, my inbox has been flooded with emails from teachers across the district urging people to vote one way or another-- and most of them seemed to be against the pay cut. It was pretty depressing for someone in my position. It definitely didn't seem like it would pass. But I am impressed to learn that nearly two-thirds of my colleagues voted to save jobs at their own expense. I really do work with some amazing people who are willing to stand up for their friends and coworkers, and this is just another example of that. Happy day! :)

No comments: