Sunday, May 11, 2014

My Mother's Day

I have to say... After nearly 16 years of togetherness, and with this being my seventh Mother's Day, Gus has got it all figured out! I feel like I don't ask for a whole lot. I don't need or expect expensive gifts. I just want to relax, enjoy my family, and not have to be in charge for once! And that's exactly how today was! :)

I slept in for a little bit, but was woken at around 7:30 by a little girl who had to use the bathroom (in our room, despite having other options). She wished me a "Merry Mother's Day!", and proceeded to do her business and then snuggle with me for a bit. A little while later, breakfast arrived! It was what has become Gus' signature breakfast-in-bed: Pillsbury cinnamon rolls and a mimosa (no complaints here!). Also on the tray were the gifts that the kids each made for me at school: a cute card/poem from Niko, and a MadLib-style paper from Maya. Maya's papers were hilarious! See Exhibit A:
Eventually, I got out of bed and headed downstairs... only to find the exact thing I was hoping for: a bike!!!!! Now, for those of you paying attention, Gus bought me a bike for my birthday in 2012. I loved that bike!!! However, it was a beach cruiser. Which meant that it only had one gear. And when you live in a hilly town with gravel/dirt trails, it just wasn't practical. At all. So we ended up selling it for almost exactly what Gus had originally paid, but it meant that I was left without a bike. And up until now, that wasn't too terrible. But I've got kids who can actually pedal and cover distance now! I want to ride, too! The timing could not have been more perfect!! Hooray!!!

So... we eventually got dressed, and Gus and I soaked up the sun on our deck while the kids played in the yard. Then we decided to go for a family bike ride out on the rail trail. It was great! Maya required some prodding to keep going, but we rode for a few miles. And, bonus: the turtles were out in force! They were enjoying the warm weather as much as we were, it seems!
After our ride, we resumed our positions in the back yard. I read from my Kindle and attempted to keep my eyes open (it was so warm and cozy!). Eventually, Gus drove down the street and got me an iced coffee from Dunkin Donuts-- yum!! It was a truly lovely afternoon. The hours slipped by as I read and the kids played in the warm sunshine. And then there was wine! Gus grilled us the yummiest dinner, too, which we enjoyed outside: ribeye steaks, Caesar salad, and baked potatoes. Absolutely perfect!
After dinner, we attempted to sit by the fire pit for a while, but the wood was too wet and simply wouldn't ignite. But it was okay! We had a fantastic day together, and I was left feeling loved and appreciated. Which is really what it's all about, right? :)

No comments: