Sunday, May 4, 2014

Maya's 5th Birthday Party

We made it! Her birthday party was a great success! All her best local buddies came, and we had a great time. It was a superhero theme! These were the invitations (I've removed our address and whatnot, but it was there, too)
These were the cupcakes... Copycat Starbucks Vanilla Bean cupcakes... SO GOOD! I was proud. And I made the little cupcake toppers, too.
Right as the guests began arriving, Niko decided that he needed to go to the bathroom. And then he didn't come back for a while... I discovered he was still in there when another little girl needed to go. So I sent Gus in to see what was happening. He had totally clogged the toilet (too much toilet paper!). So then GUS disappeared for like 20 minutes-- he had the plunger, but couldn't unclog it! So everyone ended up using the hall bathroom upstairs, which I was totally unprepared for. But, we did get the toilet fixed, eventually. And Niko apologized for not doing a "courtesy flush," hahahaha!!

But anyway... while that was going on, we all started making our very own superhero masks and capes! I made those capes myself, I'll have you know. I had to figure out how to operate my mom's old sewing machine, and I can only go in straight lines, but I muddled my way through it!
Then they had to pose with their superhero gear on! This was everyone except for one little girl, who was feeling shy. She reminds me a lot of Niko when he was younger.
After that, we played "Pin the Mask on the Superhero," which I have no pictures of. And some kids are giant cheaters! But we were just playing for fun, anyway, so it didn't matter. After that, we decided to play Freeze Dance!
Then it was time for cake!
And presents!
All in all, it was a very nice party. Two hours, on the dot! I think everyone had a good time, and cleanup only took about 20 minutes. And now, I sleep, because I am one exhausted mommy!

No comments: