Saturday, May 3, 2014

Busiest Weekend in May...

I swear, this weekend in May is going to be a crazy one for the foreseeable future. For one, it's when we always have Maya's birthday party. And it is when Little League Parade Day takes place. AND it's always when the middle school does their annual road race. AND the huge Catholic church in town does their first communion. It's just a really packed weekend around here (though we're not Catholic, so we don't have to worry about it until our kids get a little older and potentially get invited to their friends' first communion parties. Still, it adds to the traffic and overall craziness!).

Anyway... we were up bright and early this morning so that Niko could run the 1-mile kids' race at the middle school. My friend Miranda's daughter, Natalie, ran it too. And it was weird to me to see kids come up to Niko and say hi, but I had no idea who they were!! The answer? Bus friends. It's so strange that my child now has this life outside of me, where he knows people that I don't. But I suppose it was inevitable!

But I digress... Niko ROCKED it! He ran the entire way, as we expected, and beat a ton of kids who were WAY older than he was! I don't know what his official time was yet, but Gus says it was just over nine minutes (he thinks 9:05). That's over a minute better than last year! The kid is not the fastest runner, but his stamina is pretty amazing. We may have a distance runner on our hands! Anyway, how about some pictures?
(and yes, that last one is a little blurry. It makes me sad, because I LOVE that picture! Oh well.)

After the race was over, we headed home and relaxed for about an hour. Well, not even that long, because the kids needed to change into their baseball uniforms, and we needed to pack lunch for them. Before we knew it, it was time to go again. We headed over to the baseball field so that I could get all the equipment out and set up (the joys of coaching). We were actually playing on a field that is normally used by the bigger kids, so I'd never been there before. But it was great! It was much warmer than our first game (in the low 60s), and my team did GREAT! I had a parent tell me that I really am a good coach, after comparing our team to the last two that we've played. Our team is younger than most, but they are prepared and know what to do on the field! I was pretty proud. :) And all the kids had some great hits today, but especially my two favorite sluggers. It was awesome!
After the game, we had about a half hour until it was time for the Little League parade to begin. And it began right at the same field where we played, so we didn't have to go anywhere. All the kids just sat down and ate a quick lunch. Then we lined up at our spot and killed time by playing Duck, Duck, Goose and taking pictures:
And then it was time to march! We took off down the road. It's always a very short parade-- less than a block, haha! So if you blink, you'll miss it. It was fun, though. Then I had to stay with my 11 little kids while the League officials did their whole pomp and circumstance bit... It took a long time, and there was a lot of me telling kids to keep their hands to themselves, to not play with the (freshly raked) infield dirt, and things of that nature. It was surprisingly exhausting! But we made it through. And the mascot for the Worcester Bravehearts even came right over to us, and neither kid freaked out! Progress!!
After that, I had to monitor the bounce house for a while (mandatory "volunteering" for t-ball coaches). And then we ran errands, and started setting some things up for Maya's birthday party tomorrow. I am exhausted!!! Thank goodness her party is in the afternoon, because I need to sleep!

No comments: