Saturday, August 24, 2013

Meet The Teacher Day!

So, we had our Meet the Teacher event at school yesterday morning. Niko's teacher seems very nice, and the classroom looks great! Niko was feeling very shy, though, and didn't say much. We were relieved to find out that he already knows three other little boys in his class! Two of the boys went to preschool with him and have been on his t-ball team for the past two years (including his coach's son... that was the first person we saw when we walked in!). The third boy was on his t-ball team this past year. So he will have some familiar faces to help ease him into this kindergarten business. We also saw his new acquaintance, Daryl, who we meet at the "picnic in the gym" the other night. By the time we were ready to go, they were giving each other hard high-fives! I actually think that Daryl and Niko could be good buddies, so we shall see if they become friends. Daryl's mom is a former teacher and is super nice, too!

Anyway... I wanted to take a picture of Niko with his teacher, but he wasn't having it. I'll try again another day. I did get a picture of him coloring some paper apples. We sat in the room for a while, just so he could feel comfortable with it.
Then we rode on the school bus. They had said they would be discussing the rules for the bus, but the driver didn't say one word! So the ride itself was kind of pointless. Even Niko was like, "Can we get off now? I'm tired of the bus." ha!! I did stay behind afterward and ask her some things, and that was the most useful part!

After that, we went outside the classroom to the coatroom. I had walked right through it the first time without noticing it. But the kindergarten coatroom is like a foyer outside the classroom door, and it's huge!! Makes sense, since this is New England and all. The kids need to have room for all their winter gear. Niko was very pleased when he found his cubby, all on his own!
So... Niko has 18 kiddos in his class, which I was pleased with. We also walked around the school, just because I wanted to. Niko really likes the school library. And I finally found out what's in the middle of the school, haha! The whole thing is laid out like a large rectangle, but you can't get through the middle. That's because there's a GARDEN out there! I had no idea! There were a bunch of mature apple trees that were absolutely covered with apples, along with lots of other plants. And there is a GREENHOUSE at one end, meant for the kids to use! I guess I shouldn't be that surprised-- this is a farm town, after all! But how cool! I felt like I found a secret garden. It's completely surrounded by the school. Awesome!

After we decided we were done, we headed over to Caryn's house to pick up Maya. We ended up going out to lunch together, too. We can't believe that our big boys start school in only a few days!!

No comments: